This shouldn't be this hard

schlotz

This shouldn't be this hard

Post by schlotz »

Using WDTV Live, wildmedia server does load and I get the stop and restart icons. Go to wdtv live and NO WMS server is shown. Read the knowledge base but it has not helped in pointing to where the problem exists. Any help would surely be appreciated....

thanks,
Matt
Eugene

Re: This shouldn't be this hard

Post by Eugene »

schlotz wrote:Using WDTV Live, wildmedia server does load and I get the stop and restart icons. Go to wdtv live and NO WMS server is shown. Read the knowledge base but it has not helped in pointing to where the problem exists. Any help would surely be appreciated....
Presentation page is available from the Internet browser? (http://server_ip_address:server_port)
schlotz

Post by schlotz »

Eugene wrote:
schlotz wrote:Using WDTV Live, wildmedia server does load and I get the stop and restart icons. Go to wdtv live and NO WMS server is shown. Read the knowledge base but it has not helped in pointing to where the problem exists. Any help would surely be appreciated....
Presentation page is available from the Internet browser? (http://server_ip_address:server_port)
I'm sorrry, but how does this address the fact that the wdtv live box does not see a server to link to? There is no browser via the the wdtv box. It only allows one to select a media server (and WMS is not visible) or network shares directory.
docbells

Post by docbells »

Did you select the correct profile when you set it up? I had to go into my firewall and give this program permission before my WDTV live found the server. Try that...
schlotz

Post by schlotz »

docbells wrote:Did you select the correct profile when you set it up? I had to go into my firewall and give this program permission before my WDTV live found the server. Try that...
turned off the firewall on purpose so that there was no interference.... wdtv live profile was selected
schlotz

Post by schlotz »

Still looking for help. Cannot see the WMS server via the WDTV Live.......

Regards,
Matt
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

schlotz wrote:Still looking for help. Cannot see the WMS server via the WDTV Live.......
Presentation page is available from the Internet browser (on computer) ? (http://server_ip_address:server_port)
schlotz

Post by schlotz »

Eugene wrote:
schlotz wrote:Still looking for help. Cannot see the WMS server via the WDTV Live.......
Presentation page is available from the Internet browser (on computer) ? (http://server_ip_address:server_port)

I guess I must be dense. A server is to make media available for viewing. WildMedia has a specific profile just for the WDTV Live. The WDTV Live box does not have a browser per se, it can select from media servers it sees, network shares it sees or an attached usb hard drive. It has no ability to see a presentation page as mentioned. It currently sees my main pc, its network shares and media shares but it does NOT SEE the WildMediaSErver (WMS) despite WMS is running on my main pc without any firewall or file protection software running. I no doubt am doing something wrong here, but cannot discover what it is. Still looking for help.

Matt
davel

Post by davel »

It might help to know the topology of your network, ip address of the wdtv, ip address of the WMS and its OS.

Did you set up a dhcp server somewhere? Router (brand and model,wireless), firewall etc or are you using static ip addresses.

Is WMS on its own machine or did you used it with your workstation. Is the WDTV live working wireless via a bridge?

How many machines are on this network, how many wireless how many wired?

Overall I think things are easier than they used to be, but many security measures of late being AV or malware can break the chain between devices. Accidental reuse of static ip addresses, or multiple dhcp servers can be problematic.

I think we could benefit with just a bit more detail other than it does not work.
1x WDTV Live (FW 1.01.24)
1x O!Play HDP-R1 FW 1.18N
2x SMCWAA-G EZ Stream (never updated)
1x Dlink DSM-520 Media Lounge (FW 1.06 ,replaced by the WDTV Live)
schlotz

Post by schlotz »

davel wrote:It might help to know the topology of your network, ip address of the wdtv, ip address of the WMS and its OS.

Did you set up a dhcp server somewhere? Router (brand and model,wireless), firewall etc or are you using static ip addresses.

Is WMS on its own machine or did you used it with your workstation. Is the WDTV live working wireless via a bridge?

How many machines are on this network, how many wireless how many wired?

Overall I think things are easier than they used to be, but many security measures of late being AV or malware can break the chain between devices. Accidental reuse of static ip addresses, or multiple dhcp servers can be problematic.

I think we could benefit with just a bit more detail other than it does not work.
Fair enough....
network ip is the std 192.168.1.xxx, the wdtv live is currently wireless ip= 192.168.1.106 (router configed to support max of 20 ip addresses)
firewall (kaspersky and ms) both disabled
no static ip addresses being used
router is a linksys 350N running dhcp, three machines are hardwired to it and a max of three are using it wireless
WMS is running on my main workstation (Vista Ultimate 64 - 8gb memory)
ip address for WMS ? Where do I find this......?

Regards,
Matt