Sont KDL-37W5810 and WMS

dgat

Sont KDL-37W5810 and WMS

Post by dgat »

Hi all - pretty new to this DLNA lark

I am using the above Sony TV with WMS and after much playing have found that using 1280x720 all files seem to play (movies etc) with the correct Aspect Ratio when transcoding.

However (there is always one!) when it shows on screen it fills the screen but I am missing a little bit from all sides of the picture - on a 16:9 on all edges and on a cinema aspect right and left.

I 'think' that the transcode itself is OK (I can play the transcoded file and see the full picture) so I reckon it must be my Sony! I have checked and double checked all settings and the Sony is set to Wide and the scaling is set to normal so am bemused.

Anyone else come across this?

Anyone with an idea around it - ideally I would like to scale the video slightly 'smaller' if I could to then show the full picture on the TV - are the settings for the scale of the outputted transcode file tweekable?

Thanks in advance!
Eugene

Re: Sont KDL-37W5810 and WMS

Post by Eugene »

Hi
dgat wrote: I am using the above Sony TV with WMS and after much playing have found that using 1280x720 all files seem to play (movies etc) with the correct Aspect Ratio when transcoding.

However (there is always one!) when it shows on screen it fills the screen but I am missing a little bit from all sides of the picture - on a 16:9 on all edges and on a cinema aspect right and left.

I 'think' that the transcode itself is OK (I can play the transcoded file and see the full picture) so I reckon it must be my Sony! I have checked and double checked all settings and the Sony is set to Wide and the scaling is set to normal so am bemused.

Anyone else come across this?

Anyone with an idea around it - ideally I would like to scale the video slightly 'smaller' if I could to then show the full picture on the TV - are the settings for the scale of the outputted transcode file tweekable?
You can use the formation border of frame (Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame" - "Frame size (unit - pixels)" - Frame).
But the current version has a problem with used module name. Temporary solution in program installation directory (\Program Files\Wild Media Server) copy file wmssubt.dll to hmssubt.dll.
dgat

Post by dgat »

Thanks for the reply

I have just tried mucking around putting different values in there (after copying the dll and restarting) and changing it always scale, if bigger, if smaller etc and I cant see that it is making any difference at all in the resultant transcoded file. I am sure I am doing something wrong! ;-)

EDIT: Sorry - it IS working for movie style videos - not for 16:9 TV type shows -will have more of a play!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

dgat wrote:Thanks for the reply

I have just tried mucking around putting different values in there (after copying the dll and restarting) and changing it always scale, if bigger, if smaller etc and I cant see that it is making any difference at all in the resultant transcoded file. I am sure I am doing something wrong! ;-)
Try set red color of frame, use transcoding profile "Movies (primary)", perform test transcoding, check the transcoded file.
dgat

Post by dgat »

Eugene wrote:

Try set red color of frame, use transcoding profile "Movies (primary)", perform test transcoding, check the transcoded file.
Thanks - it is working for movies with the 'framing' but not for 16:9 type TV shows!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

dgat wrote:
Eugene wrote:

Thanks - it is working for movies with the 'framing' but not for 16:9 type TV shows!
No red frame with transcoding profile "Movies (primary)" ?
dgat

Post by dgat »

Eugene wrote:
dgat wrote:
Eugene wrote:

No red frame with transcoding profile "Movies (primary)" ?
I cleared the profile in case it overid the frame settings - should I select that as well? I think its the fact that the frame is set to 16:9 and the video is 16:9 so it thinks it doesnt need to scale it - movies work AOK now (I need to get the settings right but can see how it works now).
dgat

Post by dgat »

Thanks to Eugene I have now managed to scale my movies to fit exactly

Problem now is the framing has no effect at all on any 16:9 programs (i.e. TV shows) - the frame is not in the transcoded files for these. I have set it to always scale but to no effect plus played with all sorts of sizes and profiles.

I guess I can live with this but it seems weird - there must be some logic behind it deciding not to frame these - I have even set my orig frame to be 4:3 to see if that forces it but to no avail.

Tech - dont ya love it! :-)
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

dgat wrote: Problem now is the framing has no effect at all on any 16:9 programs (i.e. TV shows) - the frame is not in the transcoded files for these. I have set it to always scale but to no effect plus played with all sorts of sizes and profiles.

I guess I can live with this but it seems weird - there must be some logic behind it deciding not to frame these - I have even set my orig frame to be 4:3 to see if that forces it but to no avail.
For the server, no matter the content of media resources (i.e. TV shows), but its work may depend on it file type.
dgat

Post by dgat »

Eugene wrote:
dgat wrote: Problem now is the framing has no effect at all on any 16:9 programs (i.e. TV shows) - the frame is not in the transcoded files for these. I have set it to always scale but to no effect plus played with all sorts of sizes and profiles.

For the server, no matter the content of media resources (i.e. TV shows), but its work may depend on it file type.
Thats weird then - the file types are all AVI regardless of the aspect ratio