new Sony HD TV and DVB subtitles

jolson

new Sony HD TV and DVB subtitles

Post by jolson »

Hi

I’m new to WMS, but having just sampled most of the media servers on the Internet, this is by far the best one I’ve seen
That said, I’m having some difficulties understanding what I’m doing, and finding the right settings has been more a matter of luck than knowledge.

I could use some help with the few problems I haven’t been able to solve.
I’m running WMS version 0.73 on Windows 7 Professional. The reason for having the media server is to stream to my new Sony KDL-32EX403. This has only been out a few weeks and has an DVB-T2 tuner as well as DVB-T. They are connected using DLNA on 100Mb wired Ethernet. The video file types I’m testing (photos and music can come later) are: .ts, .avi, .mov, .wmv, .mpg, .flv, .mkv, and HD .mp4

1) If I go to Settings > Device > and set the TYPE to “Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9 , 1920X1080)”, then only the mpg files will play. If I set the TYPE to “Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9 , 1280X720)” then most files play but the video is stretched slightly horizontally. The TV resolution is 1920x1080; should I be able to set the TYPE to this resolution? Can I adjust the aspect ratio to correct the picture?

2) If I set the Device TYPE to 1280x720 then most videos play. The exception is the .ts file and the mp4 file. The .ts file is a transport stream created by DVBViewer and it consists of MPEG2VIDEO, MP2 audio, and embedded DVBSUB subtitles. Changing the transcoding settings from the TV, I managed to get it to display properly using the DVPiper transcoding profile, but there are no subtitles. Is DVPiper the correct transcoder? What do I have to do to get the DVB subtitles to work? I have 2 Deaf people in the house and it is important for them.

3) The .mp4’s don’t play consistently, but they aren’t so important so I’ve mostly ignored them. Once I get the .ts running properly, I'll dig into it a little deeper.

Other than the information on the forum thread “Knowledge base to work with the program”, is there any other documentation about the settings, and how the program works?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers

John
Eugene

Re: new Sony HD TV and DVB subtitles

Post by Eugene »

Hi
jolson wrote: 1) If I go to Settings > Device > and set the TYPE to “Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9 , 1920X1080)”, then only the mpg files will play. If I set the TYPE to “Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9 , 1280X720)” then most files play but the video is stretched slightly horizontally. The TV resolution is 1920x1080; should I be able to set the TYPE to this resolution? Can I adjust the aspect ratio to correct the picture?
When using transcoding profile "Movies (primary)", the frame padded with color and the proportions must be correct. You watched with or without transcoding?
jolson wrote: 2) If I set the Device TYPE to 1280x720 then most videos play. The exception is the .ts file and the mp4 file. The .ts file is a transport stream created by DVBViewer and it consists of MPEG2VIDEO, MP2 audio, and embedded DVBSUB subtitles. Changing the transcoding settings from the TV, I managed to get it to display properly using the DVPiper transcoding profile, but there are no subtitles. Is DVPiper the correct transcoder? What do I have to do to get the DVB subtitles to work? I have 2 Deaf people in the house and it is important for them.
TV supports subtitles? You watched file or DVB-stream ?
jolson wrote: 3) The .mp4’s don’t play consistently, but they aren’t so important so I’ve mostly ignored them. Once I get the .ts running properly, I'll dig into it a little deeper.
Right-click in the list of films you can perform transcoding test and find out what the problem.
jolson wrote: Other than the information on the forum thread “Knowledge base to work with the program”, is there any other documentation about the settings, and how the program works?
Unfortunately, no other documentation.
jolson

Post by jolson »

Eugene wrote:When using transcoding profile "Movies (primary)", the frame padded with color and the proportions must be correct. You watched with or without transcoding?
I watched with transcoding. Without transcoding, very little works. With transcoding, just about everything works, as long as the resolution is set to 1280x720
Eugene wrote:TV supports subtitles? You watched file or DVB-stream ?
I was told the TV supported subtitles in the .ts container. I've been talking some people yesterday and there is some doubt now whether the TV supports subtitles through DLNA. I managed to get DVBViewer streaming to the TV and there was no subs available at the TV. (DVBViewer is used to create the .ts files and they play with subs on the computer). I was watching a file, not a DVB-stream
If the TV ignores the DVB-subtitles in the stream, then the only way I can figure how to get the subtitles to the TV is to have them overlayed onto the MPEG2 video during transcoding. This should be possible by transcoding with VLC ('soverlay' option) , but apparently this feature is broken until the next release (1.0.6 or 1.1.0, should be released very soon). My only other option is to get a dedicated media server box; the AC Ryan one definitely decodes the DVB subtitles (I'd rather not, the last thing I need is another box and and other remote! :cry: )

Cheers

John
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

jolson wrote:
Eugene wrote:When using transcoding profile "Movies (primary)", the frame padded with color and the proportions must be correct. You watched with or without transcoding?
I watched with transcoding. Without transcoding, very little works. With transcoding, just about everything works, as long as the resolution is set to 1280x720
Maybe you changed the padding color or disable it (Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame")
jolson wrote:
Eugene wrote:TV supports subtitles? You watched file or DVB-stream ?
I was told the TV supported subtitles in the .ts container. I've been talking some people yesterday and there is some doubt now whether the TV supports subtitles through DLNA. I managed to get DVBViewer streaming to the TV and there was no subs available at the TV. (DVBViewer is used to create the .ts files and they play with subs on the computer). I was watching a file, not a DVB-stream
If the TV ignores the DVB-subtitles in the stream, then the only way I can figure how to get the subtitles to the TV is to have them overlayed onto the MPEG2 video during transcoding. This should be possible by transcoding with VLC ('soverlay' option) , but apparently this feature is broken until the next release (1.0.6 or 1.1.0, should be released very soon). My only other option is to get a dedicated media server box; the AC Ryan one definitely decodes the DVB subtitles (I'd rather not, the last thing I need is another box and and other remote! :cry: )
Program supports DVB-subtitles, in the track list program's main form subtitles exists ? You have chosen it for transcoding?
jolson

Post by jolson »

Eugene wrote:Maybe you changed the padding color or disable it (Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame")
I don't think I've changed anything there. Can you see if a setting is wrong?
Eugene wrote: Program supports DVB-subtitles, in the track list program's main form subtitles exists ? You have chosen it for transcoding?
This might be the problem. On a test transcoding, it doesn't look like the subtitle stream is selected for output.

I've got the subtitle section checked in the settings

and to transcode when subtitles are detected

Is there something else I must do??

Cheers

John
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

jolson wrote:
Eugene wrote:Maybe you changed the padding color or disable it (Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame")
I don't think I've changed anything there. Can you see if a setting is wrong?
Eugene wrote: Program supports DVB-subtitles, in the track list program's main form subtitles exists ? You have chosen it for transcoding?
This might be the problem. On a test transcoding, it doesn't look like the subtitle stream is selected for output.

I've got the subtitle section checked in the settings

and to transcode when subtitles are detected

Is there something else I must do??
In the list of films on + button to open the track list. Subtitle track there?
jolson

Post by jolson »

Eugene wrote:In the list of films on + button to open the track list. Subtitle track there?
Yes, and it's the same stream number (0x251) as shown as the input to wmsmpeg

definitely subtitles in the source file

Eugene

Post by Eugene »

jolson wrote:
Eugene wrote:In the list of films on + button to open the track list. Subtitle track there?
Yes, and it's the same stream number (0x251) as shown as the input to wmsmpeg
definitely subtitles in the source file
Choose them for transcoding on the right-button mouse or the folder settings on the media device (available when navigating through the folder Transcoding)
jolson

Post by jolson »

This might be a stupid question but....

the transcoded output is a .mpg file. If I get the subtitles to work, are they supposed to be overlayed on the video? With a .mpg file, the subtitles wouldn't be a separate stream would they?

I've tried selecting all three sub-items (the video, the audio, and the subs) then doing a test transcoding; no subtitles. Same thing if I select the transcoded file from the TV
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

jolson wrote:This might be a stupid question but....

the transcoded output is a .mpg file. If I get the subtitles to work, are they supposed to be overlayed on the video? With a .mpg file, the subtitles wouldn't be a separate stream would they?
Subtitles are overlay on the frame, in the video stream.
jolson wrote: I've tried selecting all three sub-items (the video, the audio, and the subs) then doing a test transcoding; no subtitles. Same thing if I select the transcoded file from the TV
What are now the parameters of the test transcoding?