Fast Forward

fabutil

Fast Forward

Post by fabutil »

Hello Eugene

First of all I have to say your software is the best I have been playing around so far. I have a bravia 46w5800 and before wms, watching movies from my freenas library (mkv, divx, xvid...) was a nightmare. I am just missing some guidelines to have it running on linux/bsd but I came across some posts mentionning wine so it should be doable.

Anyway, there is a crucial feature I am still missing compared to my Freebox upnp server (that unfortunately does not do well with trancoding): fast forward.

At first I thought 'big' files (hd movies) were the issue, but I actually have the same behaviour with 'short' episode from non-hd, tv series.

To make a long story short fast forward (right arrow of the central cursor on my sony remote) actually works like 5 sec forward, then the screen freezes and there is no option but to play from where the movie is at that point.

What I would like to see is both:
1- ability to jump 30sec (or so) forward by a pression on one button
2- ability to use a 'regular' x2or x3 fast forward

The first requirement is very key to skip a recurring generic and/or to browse through an episode.
The second one is of less importance to me but is available on my Freebox upnp server so maybe it is not that hard to implement. (?)

Possible?

Thanks!

Fabien
Eugene

Re: Fast Forward

Post by Eugene »

Hello, Fabien,
fabutil wrote:Hello Eugene

First of all I have to say your software is the best I have been playing around so far. I have a bravia 46w5800 and before wms, watching movies from my freenas library (mkv, divx, xvid...) was a nightmare. I am just missing some guidelines to have it running on linux/bsd but I came across some posts mentionning wine so it should be doable.

Anyway, there is a crucial feature I am still missing compared to my Freebox upnp server (that unfortunately does not do well with trancoding): fast forward.

At first I thought 'big' files (hd movies) were the issue, but I actually have the same behaviour with 'short' episode from non-hd, tv series.

To make a long story short fast forward (right arrow of the central cursor on my sony remote) actually works like 5 sec forward, then the screen freezes and there is no option but to play from where the movie is at that point.

What I would like to see is both:
1- ability to jump 30sec (or so) forward by a pression on one button
2- ability to use a 'regular' x2or x3 fast forward

The first requirement is very key to skip a recurring generic and/or to browse through an episode.
The second one is of less importance to me but is available on my Freebox upnp server so maybe it is not that hard to implement. (?)

Possible?
Try this solution - http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p=902#p902.

P.S. If needed individual settings positioning for the file type, then (Settings-File Types).
fabutil

Post by fabutil »

Thanks for the quick answer. And sorry I did not search the forums enough :)

Anyway, I changed the settings and it is much better. I can see I am now limited by my cpu horsepower as, running win7 on a 6300 cpu, wms 0.72.5 is using 99% of the cpu when I fast forward a 720p movie. I think this makes sense.

The bad news is that wms crashed after like 5mn of fast forwarding.

I took a screenshot, let me know if you need more info on this.

Thx.

Fabien
Attachments
wms.jpg
wms.jpg (181.04 KiB) Viewed 12165 times
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

fabutil wrote:Thanks for the quick answer. And sorry I did not search the forums enough :)

Anyway, I changed the settings and it is much better. I can see I am now limited by my cpu horsepower as, running win7 on a 6300 cpu, wms 0.72.5 is using 99% of the cpu when I fast forward a 720p movie. I think this makes sense.

The bad news is that wms crashed after like 5mn of fast forwarding.

I took a screenshot, let me know if you need more info on this.
What type of file? With or without transcoding? What profile transcoding?
fabutil

Post by fabutil »

"What type of file?"
mkv

"With or without transcoding? What profile transcoding?"
No profile selected. If I pick up TSMuxer any of the folders containing one of my mkv movie is empty.
=> I left all the options by default (I actually clicked on the restore from distribution list icon) and did not choose any profile. The only thing I moved is the 'positioning media resource'->by time.

I have tried to reproduce the exact same error but I could not. Btw could it be related to the FF encoder? I had to kill like 10 processes of wmsmpeg.exe after wms crashed.

Now what I got is ffwding ok for 10 secs and then the movie stops and the tv says 'no playback available'. If I do not touch ffwding everything is fine.

I am attaching the log generated between the server startup and the error. Maybe it will help you.

thx
Attachments
wms.zip
(57.47 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

fabutil wrote:"What type of file?"
mkv

"With or without transcoding? What profile transcoding?"
No profile selected. If I pick up TSMuxer any of the folders containing one of my mkv movie is empty.
=> I left all the options by default (I actually clicked on the restore from distribution list icon) and did not choose any profile. The only thing I moved is the 'positioning media resource'->by time.

I have tried to reproduce the exact same error but I could not. Btw could it be related to the FF encoder? I had to kill like 10 processes of wmsmpeg.exe after wms crashed.

Now what I got is ffwding ok for 10 secs and then the movie stops and the tv says 'no playback available'. If I do not touch ffwding everything is fine.

I am attaching the log generated between the server startup and the error. Maybe it will help you.

thx
Settings-Transcoder-File format - try to choose the format MPEGTS. May need to turn on the "Terminate transcoding if device request another file" (Settings-Transcoder)
fabutil

Post by fabutil »

Hello Eugene

MPEGTS won't allow me to see anything but a black screen on the tv (although I can browse my folders).
I reverted to MPEG and did not have any other crash so I guess this is a Windows thing.

Thank you for your quick replies, I realize this thread is not really about new feature anymore so I will follow up in the proper section of the forum!