need help! how to play dvd from dvdrom drive

friesepferd

need help! how to play dvd from dvdrom drive

Post by friesepferd »

I am using WMS to play movies and such from my desktop computer on my projector via my PS3.
I have it set up and dont have any problems playing files that are on my desktop hard drive and have also successfully streams podcasts using WMS.
One thing that I can't figure out how to use that is very important to me is playing DVD disks which are put into the DVDrom drive on my desktop computer.
I have added that drive to my folder list and everything and I can see that it is there in the WMS folder list.
I have tried opening the video under transcoding, then the dvd drive name, but what I get is a ton of different folders and subfolders all containing video files, and I cant seem to find the one I want (that being the full movie).
All I gets are parts of movies, most of which dont even work.
Can someone please tell me how to set it up so that I can watch the dvd, and preferably set it up so that I can easily find the file I need whenever I put in a new dvd?
Thanks!
Attachments
here is a screenshot of what i see
here is a screenshot of what i see
wms.jpg (125.03 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
Eugene

Re: need help! how to play dvd from dvdrom drive

Post by Eugene »

Settings - "Media-resources"- Scanning - turn on "Creating DVD structure folders for DVD directories", rescan folders
friesepferd

Post by friesepferd »

okay, now when viewed within WMS, the folders and files make more sense, but when viewed through my device (PS3), those entire folders are not there at all.
I go to transcoding, then media resources folders and its not there. i also dont see it anywhere else when i look around.
friesepferd

Post by friesepferd »

sorry. ignore that last post, i was in the wrong spot.
i can find where all the files are now, but there are still tons of them and im not sure which to pick.
many of them i picked just didnt play anything (black screen) and another started to play the movie but the video and sound was all messed up.
how to i figure out which file is the one i want? or is there another setting to only show the ones that are the full correct movie?
the other program I use does this fine and you only have to select which language / subtitle combination you want. I'm sure I am just still missing some setting somewhere.
friesepferd

Post by friesepferd »

anyone?
friesepferd

Post by friesepferd »

why do i have a feeling that to get anyone to answer a post, you need to have a new post which appears under the "unread posts" thing?

bah. ill just go back to using PS3 Media Server for dvds like that. With it, I could just pop in the dvd, select the language on the ps3, and away it went.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I don't see how that's better than just using inserting the DVD into the PS3 itself.
friesepferd

Post by friesepferd »

there is a specific reason why i need to play it through my computer.
they are region 2 dvds, which an american PS3 cant play w/o hacking. My PC is set to play region 2 disks