0.72.3 with LG BD-390

djo_34

0.72.3 with LG BD-390

Post by djo_34 »

Eugene, your server is fantastic!!!

I'm running it on Windows 2008 Server x64 with two LG BD-390 BluRay players. I was using Nero MediaHome 4 but it has some issues. Especially with indexing. If you have a lot of files and/or optimize a drive, it gets screwed up.

I have about 800 MKV movies and TV shows in 720P, a large music library, some SD movies (avi, divx) and a few thousand photos. Your service is using 26MB and less than 1% CPU while streaming a high bit-rate 720P MKV.

I haven't tested extensively, but so far with the additional of external SRT file support, WMS is working beautifully with the BD-390.

I do have a few wish-list items. These are small, non-essential features, but I thought the feedback would be welcomed.

1) Even though the console does not need to open for the service to stream, it would be nifty to have a "minimize to system tray" feature so you can keep the console running but not in the start bar.

2) When adding watch folders to be scanned, it would be great if the "SELECT DIRECTORY" menu (when adding) would return to the last opened folder. You always have to drill down from a completely collapsed tree view. Multiple directory selecting would be nice also. Even better would be DRAG-AND-DROP!

3) It would be nice to control thumbnails for each media type independently. So I can turn on thumbnails for photos, but off for music and movies.

4) I don't know if this is a caching or thumbnail issue or what, but the LG BD-390 would retrieve a folder listing very quickly, even on the first viewing. WMS is very slow the first couple of times. And I mean, slow. It takes a solid 10 seconds to retrieve a list of 20 folders. But after the first couple of times, it is nice and fast.

5) I use the WD device setting which has a lot of embedded file-types, so most types are recognized and not transcoded. It would be nice to have a "No Transcoding" option or device, where EVEN IF a file type is in the library that is not listed in the "Embedded File Support" list, no transcoding would occur. I don't want to waste the memory or CPU. If the LG will play it, great. If not, it will display an error message like "Codec not supported". I never want transcoding, even if the file extension is not in the list.

Keep up the great work. I'll report back with other findings.

Thanks!!!
Eugene

Re: 0.72.3 with LG BD-390

Post by Eugene »

djo_34 wrote: I do have a few wish-list items. These are small, non-essential features, but I thought the feedback would be welcomed.
1) Even though the console does not need to open for the service to stream, it would be nifty to have a "minimize to system tray" feature so you can keep the console running but not in the start bar.
Just close the window
djo_34 wrote: 2) When adding watch folders to be scanned, it would be great if the "SELECT DIRECTORY" menu (when adding) would return to the last opened folder. You always have to drill down from a completely collapsed tree view. Multiple directory selecting would be nice also. Even better would be DRAG-AND-DROP!
Drag and Drop works. Move the folder from Explorer to the main form of the program.
djo_34 wrote: 3) It would be nice to control thumbnails for each media type independently. So I can turn on thumbnails for photos, but off for music and movies.
Perhaps in future versions.
djo_34 wrote: 4) I don't know if this is a caching or thumbnail issue or what, but the LG BD-390 would retrieve a folder listing very quickly, even on the first viewing. WMS is very slow the first couple of times. And I mean, slow. It takes a solid 10 seconds to retrieve a list of 20 folders. But after the first couple of times, it is nice and fast.
Possible turn on mode passes the intermediate folders or deletion of empty folders.
djo_34 wrote: 5) I use the WD device setting which has a lot of embedded file-types, so most types are recognized and not transcoded. It would be nice to have a "No Transcoding" option or device, where EVEN IF a file type is in the library that is not listed in the "Embedded File Support" list, no transcoding would occur. I don't want to waste the memory or CPU. If the LG will play it, great. If not, it will display an error message like "Codec not supported". I never want transcoding, even if the file extension is not in the list.
Maybe add handling *