Media server not scanning media on a NAS

docbells

Media server not scanning media on a NAS

Post by docbells »

Hi, Just installed wild media server in hopes of it working nicely with my WDTV Live. I configured the folders to scan my media - it picked up and scanned the media on my computer (pictures) just fine, but when I loaded the mapped drive to my NAS, it will not scan the media placed in those photos. There is no error message - it just refuses to scan them. I have tried removing that folder and adding it back - still nothing. Anyone have a problem accessing media from a NAS device?

I am using windows xp with a netgear readynass duo.

Thanks
Foolproof

Re: Media server not scanning media on a NAS

Post by Foolproof »

Try give full network path, I cannot scan NAS with only mapped drive too. :D

Interesant, when is once scanned, on player I see char of mapped drive......
docbells

Post by docbells »

Foolproof wrote:Try give full network path, I cannot scan NAS with only mapped drive too. :D

Interesant, when is once scanned, on player I see char of mapped drive......
That did it - recognized and finally scanned - not sure why it wouldn't work with a mapped drive. Now if I can just get my WDTV to see this server I will be in business!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

docbells wrote:Hi, Just installed wild media server in hopes of it working nicely with my WDTV Live. I configured the folders to scan my media - it picked up and scanned the media on my computer (pictures) just fine, but when I loaded the mapped drive to my NAS, it will not scan the media placed in those photos. There is no error message - it just refuses to scan them. I have tried removing that folder and adding it back - still nothing. Anyone have a problem accessing media from a NAS device?
When you add a mapped drive, the program asks for a network path for a mapped drive, now this is a problem, will be fixed in the next version (0.72.3). Thank you for reporting this issue.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Hi,
First of all: awsome prog you wrote!

Another question about the NAS scanning:
I managed to scan my Networkdrive which is attached to my router. WMS can see all the files. But I wonder, doesn't that give problems with the streaming eventually? I mean the PC has to connect to the router, there is the NAS, then it 'returns' the movie to the PC with WMS, and then it has to be transported to the media player.
Is that working fine or is it better to store the files on an (external) harddrive attached to my computer?

Cheers!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Leon wrote: Another question about the NAS scanning:
I managed to scan my Networkdrive which is attached to my router. WMS can see all the files. But I wonder, doesn't that give problems with the streaming eventually? I mean the PC has to connect to the router, there is the NAS, then it 'returns' the movie to the PC with WMS, and then it has to be transported to the media player.
Is that working fine or is it better to store the files on an (external) harddrive attached to my computer?
Thanks,
Depending on the speed of transferring files from NAS to the computer. It is better to attach an external drive to your computer. Maybe your device has a wide support of media file formats, and recognizes the file:// link and you can use it. Right-click "Edit information", in the field Path add prefix file://, last button "Special settings using media-resources" in field Path, turn on mode "Send this link as link to the media resource". If it works, then I will add more comfortable support for this mode of work.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Okay, I will give it a try tonight. The MediaPlayer I use is the WD HDTV Live which is supported in your list.
surfingsmurf

Post by surfingsmurf »

I have a Linksys NAS200 with 2 500GB internal drives configured as RAID 1 plus I also connected two 1TB WD mybook via USB 2.0 to the back of the NAS200 connected to my 100MB switch. WMS has no problem with streaming even wireless. The only thing is when it does a scanning it takes a long...long...long...time to finish... :P

WMS is an excellent media server software
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

surfingsmurf wrote:I have a Linksys NAS200 with 2 500GB internal drives configured as RAID 1 plus I also connected two 1TB WD mybook via USB 2.0 to the back of the NAS200 connected to my 100MB switch. WMS has no problem with streaming even wireless. The only thing is when it does a scanning it takes a long...long...long...time to finish... :P
May be optimize by modification date directory? Date changes, if there were changes to files in the directory?