videos's stutter and more - and no idea what i am doing

Dupes

videos's stutter and more - and no idea what i am doing

Post by Dupes »

Hi Eugene

Thanks for getting my Bravia 32EX503 networked where tversity and WMP11 failed! :P Lovely to see my pics and watch the one AVI file I down loaded so far. 8-)

Apologies also I have read lots of threads and understand very little about any of it or how it works, certainly the lingo or instructions given in many threads, like the profiles, codecs, transcodes, pastes of computor code, streaming, podcasts etc :? so my questions are hopefully simple.
TV to router is cat6 ethernet, router to PC is wireless 802.11G. PC is very old and slow (maxed motherboard with 512MB RAM!) :lol:
WMS set up is out the box, latest version on the website. Device set to 1920x1080 Sony TV DLNA 1.5

1. When I play .MOV files (taken on Olympus camera, and play ok in WMP or quicktime on my PC), they stutter and pause on the TV. Maybe while they buffer? Can I change setting to make it play more smoothly. Do I need to set something to convert them for the TV. What boxes do I set and to what.

2. The AVI movie also had a few pauses, but less so. If I rewind a bit then play again, it goes on further, like it has had time to send more of the file to the TV? As above is this settings.

3. Will WMS play music on a random shuffle from a group of selected folders? How do you set this up?

4. I believe I can view BBC iplayer and other similar sites. I see there is something in one thread to download. Once done where do I drag the file specified to (I did not understand the answer). The how to I play an iplayer etc video on TV (ones not available to download). Do I have to play it in my web browser and run to the TV and select something? or will WMS contol the start/stop via the TV selecting a folder?

5. Finally, when I first connect, all was ok with IP address etc. Yesterday it woudl not start the server or the TV see the server - turns out the IP addresses had changed, gone up 1 so I just changed them and deleted the 'old' server on the TV. Could be as there were 2 PC's on my wireless then? Can you set fixed IP addresses or is that in the router? Perhaps set the PC to be fixed (for the TV's setting benefit) and the server to accept any IP address on that device? If so how, I have no idea.

Sorry to ask so much, maybe the simple things will help many other non tech users, to scared to try WMS with all the technical settings and phrases.

Thanks
bubblegum

Re: videos's stutter and more - and no idea what i am doing

Post by bubblegum »

I'm fairly new to this, but I'll try to help.

I'd suspect the stuttering is because you are using wireless. Try a a cat cable from the router to pc, just to see if it improves.

For iplayer, unzip the file. Then With WMS open, highlight podcast on the left hand side window, drop the unzipped file into the right hand side window. BBC iplayer should then appear on the left, right click, update podcasts. You might find this takes some time to update the podcasts.

Start server, go to TV browse to podcast. etc

The ip address change, could be because, when you turned on the tv, the original ip was being used , so the router assigned a new address. Don't worry about it.

I don't understand these codes etc.

The way I understand it, is, TV's will only play certain video types, in my case Sony kdl-37w5500 that is mpeg1 & 2. In your case dvix & Mpeg4. So, WMS transcodes (converts) your file to something playable.
The transcoding is done "on the fly" so, the stopping & starting could be down to the specs of your pc.
Attachments
BBC iplayer.7z
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Dupes

Post by Dupes »

Many thanks bubblegum for getting back to me and trying to help figure this complex stuff out. :D
Dupes wrote: Apologies also I have read lots of threads and understand very little about any of it or how it works
TV to router is cat6 ethernet, router to PC is wireless 802.11G. PC is very old and slow (maxed motherboard with 512MB RAM!) :lol:
WMS set up is out the box, latest version on the website. Device set to 1920x1080 Sony TV DLNA 1.5

1. When I play .MOV files (taken on Olympus camera, and play ok in WMP or quicktime on my PC), they stutter and pause on the TV. Maybe while they buffer? Can I change setting to make it play more smoothly. Do I need to set something to convert them for the TV. What boxes do I set and to what.

2. The AVI movie also had a few pauses, but less so. If I rewind a bit then play again, it goes on further, like it has had time to send more of the file to the TV? As above is this settings.
I read in some threads about 'chunk' which I ticked and I set some buffers for movies (150MB which should be plenty) etc, set the FPS to 25 and set to end transfer 10 seconds after coding ends. This helped the stuttering a little and stopped the problem with playback ending early, with the resultant message.
However accepting a 54Mbps wireless is not ideal for HD streaming, I feel that a small 15fps mov file should play ok and from reading some threads feel it is a common simple settings issue, likewise the avi file. I tried playing around with changing the DNLA against MOV in the list of extension types and the transcoding profile but that stopped the movies playing all together so I out it back again!

Can anyone advise the settings or what I can do to set this up to the best possible settings. My PC have no problems at all playing them in quicktime etc.

Dupes wrote: 3. Will WMS play music on a random shuffle from a group of selected folders? How do you set this up?
Anyone know - I am thinking I can highlight folders or files in folders and click 'play random' or something. or would I need to put them in a separate folder?
Dupes wrote: 4. I believe I can view BBC iplayer and other similar sites. I see there is something in one thread to download. Once done where do I drag the file specified to (I did not understand the answer). The how to I play an iplayer etc video on TV (ones not available to download). Do I have to play it in my web browser and run to the TV and select something? or will WMS contol the start/stop via the TV selecting a folder?
Cheers Bubblegum - Actually I could not drop the file at all after downloading it, it would not cross from explorer frame to the WMS frame :( . However I found you can right click on the podcast folder and 'load from file'. Then once there, right click again and 'edit' and then click the symbol to the right of the link to download the files on the site 8-) . I could not find any other way to do it or update the list of files in the podcast either - anyone know the right way to do it?

So great, all the podcast files on the TV showing as folders with index pictures, but big issue, none play :x . I tried setting the podcast folder (right click, 'edit') to various transcoding profiles including TUmixer, none worked. For all I tried, the file seemed to be loading on the TV, a 'play' arrow came up on screen followed by in 1-2 seconds by a 'pause' symbol then nothing, just black. Pressing play etc did not help.

Please I hope someone can advise, its so frustrating to see the iplayer files there and not be able to play them. I did have the browser open and on the iplayer front page.
Dupes wrote: 5. Finally, when I first connect, all was ok with IP address etc. Yesterday it would not start the server or the TV see the server - turns out the IP addresses had changed, gone up 1 so I just changed them and deleted the 'old' server on the TV. Could be as there were 2 PC's on my wireless then? Can you set fixed IP addresses or is that in the router? Perhaps set the PC to be fixed (for the TV's setting benefit) and the server to accept any IP address on that device? If so how, I have no idea.
Thanks
I emptied the devise list as I think this means any device is accepted (anyone confirm), but the TV still picked up a second server, different IP address this time I switched on. Can this be fixed at all so the TV does not need the server settings reloading each time?

Thanks for any help.

Eugene, can you advise on setting and transcoding etc so the files play smoothly and podcast work. Any help appreciated.

Is anyone writing a manual BTW?

Thanks
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Dupes wrote:I emptied the devise list as I think this means any device is accepted (anyone confirm), but the TV still picked up a second server, different IP address this time I switched on. Can this be fixed at all so the TV does not need the server settings reloading each time?
Settings-Server-Port - set a permanent port from 1024 to 65000.
Transfer data buffer size not need to set more than 2000 KB.
Do not use a WiFi-connection.
For podcasts, the minimum version 0.73.4
If the speed of transcoding less frame rate, then the power of the computer is not enough.
The program is not the player, the program is a server. Playing on the computer and the TV are different things.
Dupes

Post by Dupes »

Hi Eugene - thanks for getting back to me - apologies, as above I don't understand most of this technical stuff.
Eugene wrote: Settings-Server-Port - set a permanent port from 1024 to 65000.
I will try this thanks - but how do I know which port number to use that won't effect anything. Can I use any number? Can i tell if one is 'free/available'
Eugene wrote: Transfer data buffer size not need to set more than 2000 KB.
In WMS for 'movies' the buffer only goes in 50MB segments, Photos I think is 10mb segments and music 1mb. - how do I set 2mb for movies?
Eugene wrote: Do not use a WiFi-connection.
For podcasts, the minimum version 0.73.4
I downloaded the version on the downloads page, herehttp://www.wildmediaserver.com/page10.php. Is this not 073.4? if not please can you advise where can I download 0.73.4 or a file to update from the one on the downloads page
Eugene wrote: If the speed of transcoding less frame rate, then the power of the computer is not enough.
The program is not the player, the program is a server. Playing on the computer and the TV are different things.
How do I tell if 'transcoding is less than FPS' is actually the case for mine? - Please note I am not sure which files will transcode or not, how do you tell :? is it extension not supported by your TV automatically transcode? Can I just lower the FPS I set to get around this?
In fact I am sorry but like many I am sure, I don't know what a transcode profile is/does/means and how the DLNA setting relates to it - some are blank?

Do you now what settings I need in DLNA on 'registration files of media resources' (do I set these many for file types I have are blank?) or whats transcode profile to set against each type - it is blank and set to MPG in my settings - has this been auto set for my tv?

Do you mean I need to play the podcast on PC in order to get it to play on TV - sorry but I don't understand? I read on a thread you need to have the PC browser open on your PC, presumably to the site to play, for internet TV or podcasts to play?

Sorry to ask so much - but I hope useful questions for other of limited tech knowledge ;)
bubblegum

Post by bubblegum »

Regarding BBC iplayer

I assume under podcasts, BBC iplayer, you have sport, movies etc

For example, right click sport, edit name, everything is set to inherit

On the right hand side, right click a file, try Test transcoding, default device

A DOS window opens & you should see the page scrolling.

If I right click podcasts, edit title, I have standard rss, the 3 script reading buttons set to off, tanscoding is set, & there is no transcoding profile.

Sorry, not sure how to post screen shots.

You could try the first BBC iplayer file, from this post

http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... f=20&t=259

You don't need the web page open to play on the TV
Dupes

Post by Dupes »

Thanks bubblegum - I have found and downloaded 73.7 update and can now see/watch the iplayer podcasts (yet to try others), sort of :? .

The same issue as MOV files though, that they pause every couple of seconds, even small files. AVI film was ok pretty much but set to 720 when my tV is 1080p.

The 'edit name' settings I have (now) left exactly as set when the podcast files were loaded - I did try changing them but they stopped altogether so I deleted and reloaded.

Can someone advise any settings to improve the hesitation on podcasts and mov or explain about transcoding profiles and how they are set in this software, also for just certain file types/extensions. (I connected by ethernet cable - no improvement. Router is 54MBPS 802.11g PC is 1.2ghz so I would think ok?)
How do you check the speed of transcoding 'v' frame rate of folders - I have set the rate in 'settings to max and min levels to no avail.

Does anyone know how exactly to set a fixed port for my PC - how to choose a port number and how to set it - I think I need to do something in the router also?

Much appreciated any help - This software can do some awesome stuff 8-) , I just need to know how to set it up right. :roll:
Thanks

PS :idea: Eugene - I found the guide on the basics of the system - was it translated online or similar as the English sentence structure seems confused and I find hard to follow? I am working through it to understand things but also will try to re-word as I understand it, as I am English first language, and then send you a copy to do with as you will for other users. Hopefully it would help and I hope you don't mind? :? :)
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Dupes wrote:PS :idea: Eugene - I found the guide on the basics of the system - was it translated online or similar as the English sentence structure seems confused and I find hard to follow? I am working through it to understand things but also will try to re-word as I understand it, as I am English first language, and then send you a copy to do with as you will for other users. Hopefully it would help and I hope you don't mind? :? :)
Translation for the most part Google. Any initiatives users are welcome and supported as possible. It will be great.