Sony 46W5800 - streaming mkv & m2ts without transcoding?

CHH72

Sony 46W5800 - streaming mkv & m2ts without transcoding?

Post by CHH72 »

Hi, sorry for asking stupid questions - but maybe anyone can help.

I have Sony 46W5800 television - and WMS seems to work more or less perfect with this television (at least much better than others similar servers). But i'm running into a small problem:

I have a collection of movies which are either MKVs with mpeg2 or H.264 movies - or m2ts files with VC1 (or H264).
Accorinding to the documentation of the television the television should be able to playback (nativily) AVCHD, HDV(MPEG2-TS), MPEG2-PS ... especially it should be possible to use "MPEG2_TS_EU-ISO HD H.264" (whatever that exactly means).

I'd like to have my videos streamed to the television now without transcoding (which btw. would work) - as i think this is unneccessary as the television should be able to play the video nativly (a mpeg2 file can e.g. be played without transcofing - but if i encapsulate the mpeg2 in a MKV container WMS starts transcoding ... although it's still "just" mpeg2) anyways - so way spend time in transcoding ...

Do i miss something? Has anyone an idea on how to configure this with WMS?

thanks
CHH
Eugene

Re: Sony 46W5800 - streaming mkv & m2ts without transcoding?

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
CHH72 wrote:Hi, sorry for asking stupid questions - but maybe anyone can help.

I have Sony 46W5800 television - and WMS seems to work more or less perfect with this television (at least much better than others similar servers). But i'm running into a small problem:

I have a collection of movies which are either MKVs with mpeg2 or H.264 movies - or m2ts files with VC1 (or H264).
Accorinding to the documentation of the television the television should be able to playback (nativily) AVCHD, HDV(MPEG2-TS), MPEG2-PS ... especially it should be possible to use "MPEG2_TS_EU-ISO HD H.264" (whatever that exactly means).

I'd like to have my videos streamed to the television now without transcoding (which btw. would work) - as i think this is unneccessary as the television should be able to play the video nativly (a mpeg2 file can e.g. be played without transcofing - but if i encapsulate the mpeg2 in a MKV container WMS starts transcoding ... although it's still "just" mpeg2) anyways - so way spend time in transcoding ...

Do i miss something? Has anyone an idea on how to configure this with WMS?
For mkv files you can use the transcoding profile "Movies-TSMuxer", he did not transcode video, so runs very quickly, transcoding of audio when necessary, output file format MPEG2-TS. Sony it is very exacting to video H264, therefore not all sizes of a frame are supported and not any coding H264 will be supported.
CHH72

Post by CHH72 »

Hi Eugene, first of all - thank you for the quick response!

I gave it a try with a mkv packaged DVD - but it does not really work, but it is hard to explain what's going wrong: When i select the mkv on the sony, WMS starts tsmuxer - some seconds later the televion starts to playback "something" - but it looks more like a "color puzzle", a lot of multi colored squares are showing up, moving, looking somehow like the movie was converted to ascii-art (just with color blocks instead of chars)(no audio) ... so the sony does not really know how to handle what he gets from WMS.

Maybe you have some additional hint for me?

What i did so far was:
Standard installation of WMS, i selected as device "Sony TV ... 1920x1080) - i kept the rest of the settings untouched (beside the temp-folder of transcoding). Then i pointed WMS to a folder with MKVs and switched the transcoding profile for one of the MKVs to "Movies TsMuxer".

The movie is a MKV packed DVD - according to WMS video is "MPEG2VIDEO" (1024x576, 25fs), three audio tracks all "AC3" (one with 2, two with 6 channels).

After selecting this MKV on the televions i looked at the generated m2ts file in the temporary folder for transcoding ... the m2ts file played pretty prefect with VLC ...

Do i need to make any additional settings? Any other information i should/could provide?

thanks
CHH
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
CHH72 wrote: I gave it a try with a mkv packaged DVD - but it does not really work, but it is hard to explain what's going wrong: When i select the mkv on the sony, WMS starts tsmuxer - some seconds later the televion starts to playback "something" - but it looks more like a "color puzzle", a lot of multi colored squares are showing up, moving, looking somehow like the movie was converted to ascii-art (just with color blocks instead of chars)(no audio) ... so the sony does not really know how to handle what he gets from WMS.

Maybe you have some additional hint for me?

What i did so far was:
Standard installation of WMS, i selected as device "Sony TV ... 1920x1080) - i kept the rest of the settings untouched (beside the temp-folder of transcoding). Then i pointed WMS to a folder with MKVs and switched the transcoding profile for one of the MKVs to "Movies TsMuxer".

The movie is a MKV packed DVD - according to WMS video is "MPEG2VIDEO" (1024x576, 25fs), three audio tracks all "AC3" (one with 2, two with 6 channels).

After selecting this MKV on the televions i looked at the generated m2ts file in the temporary folder for transcoding ... the m2ts file played pretty prefect with VLC ...

Do i need to make any additional settings? Any other information i should/could provide?
Try to include these settings http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p=179#p179.
Transcoded file did not try to play through the USB ?
CHH72

Post by CHH72 »

Tried the settings now ... when i change the "Settings-Transcoder-Profiles", Sony says "Playback not available" - if i only change in "Settings-Media-resources-File types", the TV playes the file - but with the same corrupt result ... :/

I have thrown the generated m2ts file on a USB drive ... this way it plays pretty fine!
I noticed one difference: The m2ts file on the USB drive is displayed by the TV as "AVC" - where in the network view (WMS) it is displayed as "MPEG2" ... can this cause the problem? Leading to interpreting the data in the wrong way?

CHH
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

CHH72 wrote:Tried the settings now ... when i change the "Settings-Transcoder-Profiles", Sony says "Playback not available" - if i only change in "Settings-Media-resources-File types", the TV playes the file - but with the same corrupt result ... :/

I have thrown the generated m2ts file on a USB drive ... this way it plays pretty fine!
I noticed one difference: The m2ts file on the USB drive is displayed by the TV as "AVC" - where in the network view (WMS) it is displayed as "MPEG2" ... can this cause the problem? Leading to interpreting the data in the wrong way?
Try to change the DLNA-profile for m2ts, ts on AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3 in Settings-File Types. Restart the server.
CHH72

Post by CHH72 »

Hi Eugene! Yep, that did the trick! Coooool! 8-)
Playback of mkv (with mpeg2 and h264 content) works now like a charm - also playpack of m2ts files from a blu-ray now works perfectly!

Thanks! You made my day!
CHH
surfingsmurf

Post by surfingsmurf »

Try to change the DLNA-profile for m2ts, ts on AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3 in Settings-File Types. Restart the server.
I have a mkv file and tried this settings too, but getting video file cannot be played
CHH72

Post by CHH72 »

i did not yet undstand which settings affect actually what ... the settings i'm currently using are the default settings everywhere (i think this is important) and then following the instructions in the post Eugene pointed me to above - and finally changing the NDLNA value for m2ts/ts to AVC_TS_HD_24_AC3 (originally it was MPEG_TS_SD_EU_ISO). Oh yes, and the transcofing profile is of course set to "Movie - TsMuxer".

Yep and my MKVs are all mpeg2/H264 with pretty standard encoding values (25fs, ...) - so nothing "excotic"

A good tipp also might be to set the temporary folder for transcoding to something reasonable - and try to start the playback ... tsmuxer should open and create a m2ts file in that folder ... copy this file to a USB thumb drive and try to play the file on the TV directly. If this works you at least know that the "output" is correct ...

Don't know if this can help you ...
CHH
surfingsmurf

Post by surfingsmurf »

I'll try it tonight and report back

Thanks