Problems with iPad and MLPlayer Lite

k10ck3r

Problems with iPad and MLPlayer Lite

Post by k10ck3r »

I see that MLPlayer has a supported profile in 1.08+. I have been trying to test with MLPlayer Lite, but haven't gotten very far. It sees WMS, but when I try to access it, I get the following error:
"Not able to receive content list. Please check the server settings."

This player is able to access Twonky ok, but that uses plain UPNP rather than DLNA, so I'm not quite sure what could be wrong (I also tried unchecking the UPNP 1.0 setting in the profile without luck).

Ideas?

Thanks,
k10ck3r
Eugene

Re: Problems with iPad and MLPlayer Lite

Post by Eugene »

k10ck3r wrote:I see that MLPlayer has a supported profile in 1.08+. I have been trying to test with MLPlayer Lite, but haven't gotten very far. It sees WMS, but when I try to access it, I get the following error:
"Not able to receive content list. Please check the server settings."

This player is able to access Twonky ok, but that uses plain UPNP rather than DLNA, so I'm not quite sure what could be wrong (I also tried unchecking the UPNP 1.0 setting in the profile without luck).
http://www.wildmediaserver.com/buy.php

4. If you do not have enough trial period to test the program or if you have already bought a license and want to test it out with another device, you can apply by mail info@wildmediaserver.com for a free activation code on 15 days.

As I remember, you have a free licenses.
k10ck3r

Post by k10ck3r »

So, after the initial trial period, is there any way to test a new device without first purchasing a license?
Or, are you saying that a license must first be purchased for any new device?
Oh, I see, I'll send in a request to the email you mentioned....

Yes, I could use the free license, but I was trying to test first.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

k10ck3r wrote:So, after the initial trial period, is there any way to test a new device without first purchasing a license?
Or, are you saying that a license must first be purchased for any new device?
Free 15-days license can be obtained at any time and for any device code, but only once for the same device code.
k10ck3r

Post by k10ck3r »

Ok, I found something strange during testing:

1) WMS seems to be transcoding natively supported movie formats
(I see FFMPEG start and take ~ 60% CPU for m4v files)
2) Once FFMPEG has started up, I does not stop, even after the client stops playback, or is closed.
The only way to stop it is to restart WMS. Hmmm - it just stopped on it's own in my latest test,
but it took a while.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

k10ck3r wrote:Ok, I found something strange during testing:

1) WMS seems to be transcoding natively supported movie formats
(I see FFMPEG start and take ~ 60% CPU for m4v files)
Frame width > 640 (Settings - Server - choose device - Edit - Settings - File Types - m4v)
k10ck3r wrote: 2) Once FFMPEG has started up, I does not stop, even after the client stops playback, or is closed.
The only way to stop it is to restart WMS. Hmmm - it just stopped on it's own in my latest test,
but it took a while.
Settings - Transcoder - "Terminate transcoding, if the temporary file is not used during ? seconds"
k10ck3r

Post by k10ck3r »

mpWidth is already set to > 640.
The video file width is 720. Do I need to change this setting to something else?
k10ck3r

Post by k10ck3r »

I changed terminate transcode from 30 seconds to 5 seconds, but it isn't terminating after 5 seconds. Ah, it terminates in 5 seconds once the client disconnects, not when the file playback is stopped.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

k10ck3r wrote:mpWidth is already set to > 640.
The video file width is 720. Do I need to change this setting to something else?
At your discretion, Apple recommends 640. In my experience, the video begins to play with the delays
k10ck3r

Post by k10ck3r »

k10ck3r wrote:mpWidth is already set to > 640.
Ok, I changed the setting to > 720 and it is working correctly now. Is this information stored in the device profile? If so, you may want to update your iPad profile accordingly.

In my case, the m4v files are H.264 encoded, so is 720p
640 looks correct for all other formats though (per iPad video spec):

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format