New to WMS -- need help w/ WDTV Live setup

ripper2860

New to WMS -- need help w/ WDTV Live setup

Post by ripper2860 »

1st of all -- what an AWESOME program!!!

Here's where I'm needing a little help ...

1. I am sharing a media library that is also used by Windows 7 MC. I have all my movies in their own folders (ex: D:\Movies\9 (2009)\9.mkv). Each folder contains a Folder.jpg (shows up nicely as my folder thumbnail via WMS), mymovies.xml (metadata for W7 MC Media Browser app), the movie file (ex: 9.mkv), a JPG file named after the move (ex: 9.jpg) and several backdrop.jpg files (nackdrop1.jpg, backdrop2.jpg, etc) used as backdrop/fan-art with Media Browser. Within WMS all the movie folders are showing the wonderful folder.jpg image, but when I enter into the folder to play the movie, I also see all the other JPGs plus a TRANSCODE folder. Is there a way to only see the MOVIE file displaying the associated image/artwork (I assume it is derived via the moviename.jpg file) and not show all the extra JPG files and TRANSCODE folder. Ideally I would like for it to behave like a locally USB attached drive on the WDTV Live would -- movie folder icon <press enter>, movie icon <press enter>, and it plays.

2. If I use WMS to retrieve the movie info -- is it stored in the movie folder or is it stored in a folder of its own? I'm alittle nervous about using WMS to get the movie info as I do not want it overwriting any of the JPGs and XML data already contained in the movie folders. I have my WM7/Media Browser metadata, fan-art and folders art configured prefectly (after a lot of work and hand crafting) and don't want to inadvertantly screw that up. Will it read exisitng mymovies.xml or dvdid.xml data for use in categorizing Genre, Year, etc.?

3. Each movie folder has a folder containing a Movie Trailer file (typically trailer.mov) Is there a way to exlude the Trailers folder from being catalogged and dipalyed? (ex: folder/file structure: "D:\Movies\9 (2009)\Trailers\trailer.mov")

4. Can one assign a "custom" thumbnail to the collection folders (i.e. Actors, Movie, Genre, etc)? If so -- how?

That should just about do it!! So far I am REALLY impressed with the ease in setting it up to the point I have. I suspect I'll be buying it BEFORE the trial expires.

Thanks!!!!
Dion

Re: New to WMS -- need help w/ WDTV Live setup

Post by Dion »

I too have a WDTV Live and know the problem you're describing.. I found a better solution to me at least.

What I do is take all the folder.jpg's. and renamed them all to there movie files.. (example. avatar.avi - avatar.jpg )

And I moved all these pictures too there own folder.. Then told WMS to use that folder as my thumbs dir. Its under Settings. ( Note: Do this before adding any media to the device )

After you set the directory of the thumbs. Re add all your media locations and uncheck the sub folder thing. This should auto load all the pictures into the movies everytime. ( make sure the pictures are always there before you scan. )

Then I went to the Video folder tab and just hid every folder but all Videos.

Yes right click the folder and say edit. Should be a thumbs thing on the left.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

ripper2860 wrote:1. I am sharing a media library that is also used by Windows 7 MC. I have all my movies in their own folders (ex: D:\Movies\9 (2009)\9.mkv). Each folder contains a Folder.jpg (shows up nicely as my folder thumbnail via WMS), mymovies.xml (metadata for W7 MC Media Browser app), the movie file (ex: 9.mkv), a JPG file named after the move (ex: 9.jpg) and several backdrop.jpg files (nackdrop1.jpg, backdrop2.jpg, etc) used as backdrop/fan-art with Media Browser. Within WMS all the movie folders are showing the wonderful folder.jpg image, but when I enter into the folder to play the movie, I also see all the other JPGs plus a TRANSCODE folder. Is there a way to only see the MOVIE file displaying the associated image/artwork (I assume it is derived via the moviename.jpg file) and not show all the extra JPG files and TRANSCODE folder. Ideally I would like for it to behave like a locally USB attached drive on the WDTV Live would -- movie folder icon <press enter>, movie icon <press enter>, and it plays.
To exclude Transcoding folder - Settings - Device - "Embedded file support" - Movies - *
ripper2860 wrote: 2. If I use WMS to retrieve the movie info -- is it stored in the movie folder or is it stored in a folder of its own? I'm alittle nervous about using WMS to get the movie info as I do not want it overwriting any of the JPGs and XML data already contained in the movie folders. I have my WM7/Media Browser metadata, fan-art and folders art configured prefectly (after a lot of work and hand crafting) and don't want to inadvertantly screw that up. Will it read exisitng mymovies.xml or dvdid.xml data for use in categorizing Genre, Year, etc.?
Movie info stored in the database of program. To save information about the film on the disc, you can use scripts processing media resources (Settings - Processing). It is also useful to make backup copies (Help - Backup)
Script for loading mymovies.xml - http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p=794#p794
ripper2860 wrote: 3. Each movie folder has a folder containing a Movie Trailer file (typically trailer.mov) Is there a way to exlude the Trailers folder from being catalogged and dipalyed? (ex: folder/file structure: "D:\Movies\9 (2009)\Trailers\trailer.mov")
With the help of a script processing media resources, you can create any navigation structure in the folder "Collections", a sample script Settings - Processing - "Create Atrist Index".
ripper2860

Post by ripper2860 »

Wow. Some good info. I'll be trying those things out shortly and reporting back.

Thanks to both of you!!
ripper2860

Post by ripper2860 »

Well. So far so good. Got all my artwork showing and no misc. JPGs or folders. Thanks Eugene and Dion!!

Now the big challenge for me is implementing the MyMovire.XML script that Eugene referenced in his reply. Backed up everything and I'm pretty sure I've added it, but whenever I try to manually run the script it returns and error stating Nothing Was Loaded. I can only assume that it is either not finding my movie folders or I'm just a dummy, but can't really say. Are there any edits or modifications required to read the mymovies.xml files contained in my movie folders? Does it read the movie file library locations from the WMS configuration or do I need to edit the script to include my locations? I'm not a programmer and while I am a network and hardware guy -- I'm am a total noob to programming and scripts. I'm willing to throw a little donation via PayPal to anyone that can modify the script if any customizations or changes are needed. Any help would be MOST appreciated. This in the only thing I need to get my WMS installation ROCKIN'!!!!

Link to the script: http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p=794#p794
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

ripper2860 wrote:Well. So far so good. Got all my artwork showing and no misc. JPGs or folders. Thanks Eugene and Dion!!

Now the big challenge for me is implementing the MyMovire.XML script that Eugene referenced in his reply. Backed up everything and I'm pretty sure I've added it, but whenever I try to manually run the script it returns and error stating Nothing Was Loaded. I can only assume that it is either not finding my movie folders or I'm just a dummy, but can't really say. Are there any edits or modifications required to read the mymovies.xml files contained in my movie folders? Does it read the movie file library locations from the WMS configuration or do I need to edit the script to include my locations? I'm not a programmer and while I am a network and hardware guy -- I'm am a total noob to programming and scripts. I'm willing to throw a little donation via PayPal to anyone that can modify the script if any customizations or changes are needed. Any help would be MOST appreciated. This in the only thing I need to get my WMS installation ROCKIN'!!!!

Link to the script: http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p=794#p794
Yes, when it created the script has not yet been Movie Folders.
Try this variant, it handles the current folder in the folder tree.
If not work, please attach the example mymovies.xml

Code: Select all

function GetThumbnail( XMLRoot : TXMLItem ) : string;
   var XMLCovers : TXMLItem  ;
begin
   XMLCovers := XMLRoot.Find("Covers");
   Result := "";

if XMLCovers <> nil then 
      Result := XMLCovers.Find("Front").Value;
end;

procedure GetPeople( XMLRoot : TXMLItem; 
                     var actors : string; 
                     var directors : string;
                     var producers : string;  );
   var XMLPeopleRoot : TXMLItem;       
   var XMLPerson : TXMLItem;   
   var Name: string;
   var i : Integer;
begin
   actors := "";   
   directors := "";   
   producers := "";

XMLPeopleRoot := XMLRoot.Find("Persons");    
   if XMLPeopleRoot <> nil then begin   
      for i := 0 To XMLPeopleRoot.Count - 1 do begin
         XMLPerson := XMLPeopleRoot[i];
         Name := XMLPerson.Find("Name").Value;

if XMLPerson.Find("Type").Value = "Actor" then begin         
            if Length(actors) = 0 then
               actors := Name
            else
               actors := actors + "," + Name       
         end         
         else if XMLPerson.Find("Type").Value = "Director" then begin         
            if Length(directors) = 0 then
               directors := Name
            else
               directors := directors + "," + Name       
         end         
         else if XMLPerson.Find("Type").Value = "Producer" then begin         
            if Length(producers) = 0 then
               producers := Name
            else
               producers := producers + "," + Name 
         end
      end;
   end;
end;

function GetGenres( XMLRoot : TXMLItem ) : string;
   var XMLGenreRoot : TXMLItem;   
   var genres : string;   
   var i : Integer;
begin
   XMLGenreRoot := XMLRoot.Find("Genres");
   genres := "";

if XMLGenreRoot <> nil then begin
      for i := 0 To XMLGenreRoot.Count - 1 do begin  
         if Length(genres) = 0 then         
            genres := XMLGenreRoot[i].Value
         else
            genres := genres + "," + XMLGenreRoot[i].Value
      end
   end; 

Result := genres;
end;

function GetItemAsString(XMLRoot : TXMLItem; requiredData : string) : string ;
   var XMLItemData : TXMLItem;
begin
   XMLItemData := XMLRoot.Find(requiredData);
   if XMLItemData <> nil then
      Result := XMLItemData.Value      
   else   
      Result := ""         
end;

procedure ImportMetaData(XMLRoot : TXMLItem; TheMediaItem : TWmsScriptMediaItem);
   var title, description, year, runningTime, rating: string;
   var actors, directors, producers : string;   
   var XMLTitle: TXMLItem;  
begin
      title :=  GetItemAsString(XMLRoot, "LocalTitle");
      description := GetItemAsString(XMLRoot, "Description");
      rating := GetItemAsString(XMLRoot, "IMDBrating");
      year := GetItemAsString(XMLRoot, "ProductionYear");
      runningTime := GetItemAsString(XMLRoot, "RunningTime");  

TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiTitle] := title;
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiYear] := year;
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiComment] := description;
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiRating] := rating; 
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiGenre] := GetGenres(XMLRoot);      
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiThumbnail] := GetThumbnail(XMLRoot);

GetPeople(XMLRoot, actors, directors, producers);       
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiActor] := actors;      
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiDirector] := directors;     
      TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiProducer] := producers;        

end;

function GetMetaDataForItem(TheMediaItem : TWmsScriptMediaItem; var aSuccessCount: Integer) : boolean;
var
  i: Integer; 
  loadDir, movieXmlFileName, fullPath: string;
  XMLDocument: TXMLDocument;   
begin
   Result := false;   
   if TheMediaItem.HasChildItems then begin   
     for i := 0 to TheMediaItem.ChildCount - 1 do
       if GetMetaDataForItem(TheMediaItem.ChildItems[i], aSuccessCount) then        
         Inc(aSuccessCount)                          
   end else if (TheMediaItem.MediaType = mtVideo) and (TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiFilePath] <> '')  then begin
     movieXmlFileName := "mymovies.xml";
     loadDir := IncludeTrailingBackslash(ExtractFilePath(TheMediaItem.Properties[mpiFilePath]));   
     fullPath := loadDir + movieXmlFileName;   

if FileExists(fullPath) then begin   
        XMLDocument := TXMLDocument.Create;      
        try       
           XMLDocument.LoadFromFile(fullPath);
           if XMLDocument.Root.Name = "Title" then begin   
              ImportMetaData(XMLDocument.Root, TheMediaItem);             
              Result := true;            
           end;
        finally      
           XMLDocument.Free         
        end;
     end
  end                             
end;

var
  i, iSuccessCount: Integer;
begin                                       
  iSuccessCount := 0;  
  if WmsCurrentMediaTreeItem <> nil then begin
    WmsShowInformation('Load metadata...');
    try      
      GetMetaDataForItem(WmsCurrentMediaTreeItem, iSuccessCount);
    finally
      WmsHideInformation
    end      
  end;
  if iSuccessCount > 0 then
    MessageDlg('Load metadata was successful.', mtInformation, mbOK, 0)
  else
    MessageDlg('No information available for load.', mtError, mbOK, 0);
  WmsDatabaseAutoSave;
  ProcessMediaResult := True      
end.
ripper2860

Post by ripper2860 »

I will certainly give it a try when I get home and report back!! This will be REALLY nice for those that have an HTPC and are wanting to stream a library shared by the HTPC and the DLNA device. Many Media Center HTPC users are using locally stored metadata for their library which is created/managed by applications that create and use mymovies.xml files. <meta>Browser, YAMM, MyMovies, Media Center Manager, are just a few and I cannot recall the names of many others. This would REALLY eliminate a lot of extra work if the script auto-populates the WMS data from an already existing "mymovies.xml" file.

Thanks!!
ripper2860

Post by ripper2860 »

:(

No go on the script. Added it via the SETTINGS | MEDIA RESOURCES | PROCESSING. Attempted to run it directly and via a form button and still get a "No Information Available For Load" error. Below is a mymovies.xml file for reference. I truly appreciate your help and hope that is file provides the missing key to unlocking importing the metadata.

Don't know if it matters, but my movies are contained in a Movies folder off the root of drives d:, e:, f:, g:, h:, and i:

Again -- thank you so much!!

* Tried to attach it, but it kept getting blocked as an XML or TXT file.

UPDATE!!!!!!

WOOHOO!! IT WORKS!!!! Ran it directly from the form button w/ ALL MOVIES selected (doh!) and it auto-populated all of the metadata!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

<so where's the donate button??>
ripper2860

Post by ripper2860 »

One more thing (for now) related to registering. Below is a screenshot of my ALLOWED CLIENT DEVICES as discovered by a WMS Search. I will breifly describe my setup and maybe you can tell me if there are any issues that would complicate registration

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So here's my layout ...

The WDTV Live is the media device I am streaming to (192.168.108).

The Windows/6 device (192.168.1.102) is the WMS server (I assume as it is the IP of my media PC)

The WGR614v9 is my UPnP Netgear Router (192.168.1.1)

The WET610N is a Linksys/Cisco Wired to Wireless adapter/bridge (192.168.1.115). This connects to my WDTV Live hardwire ethernet port and provides wireless connectivity to the device.

Now this is where it gets bizarre and confusing (at least for me). While the WDTVLIVE and WET610N have different IP addresses, they appear to share the same MAC address. THis is probably because the WET610N is now the wireless NIC for the WDTV.

So here are my questions:

Which do I register? Are they both registered with one key since they share the MAC?

Any clarification would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

ripper2860 wrote: So here are my questions:

Which do I register? Are they both registered with one key since they share the MAC?

Any clarification would be MOST appreciated.
Device identification is his code. If the devices have the same code, you can use the same license. If you are using WMS only for WDTVLive, you only need one license.