Request: Optimal Settings Philips 2010 model PFL7605H/12

pvdossel

Request: Optimal Settings Philips 2010 model PFL7605H/12

Post by pvdossel »

Could somebody provide me with the optimal settings for the latest (2010 ) Philips Full HD LED TV PFL7605H/12?

I have used the Philips TV 2008 settings, which gives me perfect playback of AVI/DivX, but I am having problems with the smooth playback of MKV (in this case containing 1080p H264 video and AC3 5.1 audio)
The movie stutters every 5-10 seconds. Using TVersity the video playback was smooth, but unfortunately no audio. This is the first Media Server Software that actually succeeded in playing the audio in MKV files.

As for the connection, my TV is connected with direct LAN cable that has 100Mb up/down (fiber) internet connection.

Some specification this TV:

DLNA 1.5
Full HD 1080p

With respect to support files, the documentation is quite vague but it supports AVI and MKV containers:

Supported audio-/videofiles:

AVI (*.avi):
video: MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP
audio: MPEG Layer 2/3, AC3

MPEG (*.mpg, *.mpeg, *.vob):
video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2
MPEG (*.mp2, *.mp3, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.vob):
audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2, MPEG-1 Layer 3,LPCM, AC3

MPEG-4 (*.mp4):
video: MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L2-CIF, L4-HD)
audio: AAC-LC, AAC-HE

WMV (*.wmv):
video: WMV9/VC1

WMA (*.wma):
audio: WMA (v2 tot v9.2)

MKV (*.mkv):
video: H.264
audio: HE ACC, AC3

Supported DLNA audio-/videofiles:

WMV (*.wmv):

MPEG-4 (*.mp4):
video: MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L2-CIF), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L4-HD)

MKV (*.mkv):
Eugene

Re: Request: Optimal Settings Philips 2010 model PFL7605H/12

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:Could somebody provide me with the optimal settings for the latest (2010 ) Philips Full HD LED TV PFL7605H/12?

I have used the Philips TV 2008 settings, which gives me perfect playback of AVI/DivX, but I am having problems with the smooth playback of MKV (in this case containing 1080p H264 video and AC3 5.1 audio)
The movie stutters every 5-10 seconds. Using TVersity the video playback was smooth, but unfortunately no audio. This is the first Media Server Software that actually succeeded in playing the audio in MKV files.

As for the connection, my TV is connected with direct LAN cable that has 100Mb up/down (fiber) internet connection.

Some specification this TV:

DLNA 1.5
Full HD 1080p

With respect to support files, the documentation is quite vague but it supports AVI and MKV containers:

Supported audio-/videofiles:

AVI (*.avi):
video: MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP
audio: MPEG Layer 2/3, AC3

MPEG (*.mpg, *.mpeg, *.vob):
video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2

MPEG-4 (*.mp4):
video: MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L2-CIF, L4-HD)

WMV (*.wmv):

WMA (*.wma):
audio: WMA (v2 tot v9.2)

MKV (*.mkv):

Supported DLNA audio-/videofiles:

WMV (*.wmv):

MPEG-4 (*.mp4):
video: MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L2-CIF), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264, L4-HD)

MKV (*.mkv):
According to this specification need to change the list of supported files (Settings - Device - "Embedded file support" or Settings - Server - choice Device - Edit - Settings - "Embedded file support")
Video: avi,mp4,mkv,mpeg,mpg,mp4,vob,wmv
Audio: mp2,mp3,mp4,wma (may be ,wav)

Settings - "File types" or Settings - Server - choice Device - Edit - Settings - "File Types":
choice mkv - Edit - "Additional verification support files" - Add - Expression - Edit - Expression -

Code: Select all

(mpAudioCodec = 'DCA')
- Ok - Transcoding profile - Movies (primary)_720x406
philips_mkv.JPG
philips_mkv.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 21503 times
The best way would be to change the container to mp4, but usually device not compatible with conversion to mp4 on the fly.
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

Are you giving me these settings because you are also using them, or is it based on the input I gave you?

Why the additional verification support files action on audio?

What transcoding will the system do with these settings?

The TV says it supports H264 video and AC3-audio, and supports MKV, so I guess there will be nothing to transcode, right?

I prefer WMS at least to do nothing on the video, because with TVersity the video streamed perfectly with stuttering and transcoding off. I think that with the Philips 2008 setting, WMS the system is busy transcoding on the video, which causes stuttering because the PC can't keep up, or something.

It is the AC3 5.1 audio that refused to play (despite the fact Philips says it is supported)

My goals:
1. Get AC3 audio to play on TV
2. Get smooth streaming of large MKV

Anyway...thanks for the fast response...
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:Are you giving me these settings because you are also using them, or is it based on the input I gave you?
Based on the input
pvdossel wrote: Why the additional verification support files action on audio?
TV not support DTS.
pvdossel wrote: What transcoding will the system do with these settings?
If the sound is DTS, then transcoding using the profile "Movies (primary)_720x406"
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

Ok the settings are set as you asked. Result however is the same: stuttering video while playing the H264/AC3 MKV file. Transcoder Profile I left blank. If I try Movie-Tsmuxer movie does not play (unless I'm expected to wait until it is demuxed???)

I think the stuttering all has to do with the way your transcoding is set. Once you have the right settings within WMS it'll be fine.

So any help on how to properly setup the transcoder profiles is greatly appreciated. I have until July 28th before my trial expires, and I have to decide whether or not to continue.

Again, I'm NOT using DTS audio. Just a simple H264/AC3 MKV file
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:Ok the settings are set as you asked. Result however is the same: stuttering video while playing the H264/AC3 MKV file. Transcoder Profile I left blank.
You are using a wired or WiFi connection ?
pvdossel wrote: If I try Movie-Tsmuxer movie does not play (unless I'm expected to wait until it is demuxed???)
This is the main problem Philips TV, they turn off support MPEG-TS.
pvdossel wrote: I think the stuttering all has to do with the way your transcoding is set. Once you have the right settings within WMS it'll be fine.
So any help on how to properly setup the transcoder profiles is greatly appreciated. I have until July 28th before my trial expires, and I have to decide whether or not to continue.
Settings-Transcoder-Execution of transcoding - turn on "Show transcoding panel". Verify that the transcoding does not happen when selecting a movie.
pvdossel wrote: Again, I'm NOT using DTS audio. Just a simple H264/AC3 MKV file
This condition will only work for DTS.
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

You are using a wired or WiFi connection ?

I'm using a wired connection (100mb up/down internet connection through Gigabit router

Settings-Transcoder-Execution of transcoding - turn on "Show transcoding panel". Verify that the transcoding does not happen when selecting a movie.

Ok, I will try, but when I select the movie I see in the temporary directory that it is busy creating an mpg file. This is probably because in the transcoder settings it is set to mpg. I also tried mp4 but my TV (strangely enough) does not recognize the mp4.

So I guess the situation now is that EVENTHOUGH I have specified the TV profile as you mentioned, the video it is still transcoding the MKV to mpg
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:You are using a wired or WiFi connection ?

I'm using a wired connection (100mb up/down internet connection through Gigabit router

Ok, I will try, but when I select the movie I see in the temporary directory that it is busy creating an mpg file. This is probably because in the transcoder settings it is set to mpg. I also tried mp4 but my TV (strangely enough) does not recognize the mp4.

So I guess the situation now is that EVENTHOUGH I have specified the TV profile as you mentioned, the video it is still transcoding the MKV to mpg
On right click mouse "Transcoding profile" - Clear profile.
If you use individual settings for the device (Settings - Server - "A list of allowed client devices"), then сhanges it was necessary to do in them.
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

Eugene wrote:

If you use individual settings for the device (Settings - Server - "A list of allowed client devices"), then сhanges it was necessary to do in them.

The "clear profile" did the trick. No more transcoding....extremely smooth video playback, no stuttering whatsoever.....BUT.....(again) NO SOUND!!!!

Here the audio from the MKV file:

audiostream: AC-3 ; Used encoder library: libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
640 Kbps, 48,0 KHz, 6 channels, AC-3

video stream H264 , framerate 23,976

If I now look at a piece of transcoded file (you know the mpg) I can see that the audio has been transcoded to
448 Kbps, 48 KHz, 6 channels, AC-3.....and that is the mpg that DOES play the sound.

So I guess the conclusion would be that my Philips TV is unable to handle a 640 Kbps AC-3 48 KHz file.

Possibilities

1. Find a way that WMS ONLY transcodes audio (converts AC-3 640 to 448 Kbps)
2. Demux the MKV, convert AC-3 640 to 448 Kbps, and remux the whole thing back into a new MKV
3. Other possibility?

Again help is appreciated
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:
Eugene wrote:

The "clear profile" did the trick. No more transcoding....extremely smooth video playback, no stuttering whatsoever.....BUT.....(again) NO SOUND!!!!
Yes, it's strange, I think Philips supports 640 Kbps. Have you tried to watch this file via USB ?
pvdossel wrote: Here the audio from the MKV file:

audiostream: AC-3 ; Used encoder library: libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
640 Kbps, 48,0 KHz, 6 channels, AC-3

video stream H264 , framerate 23,976

If I now look at a piece of transcoded file (you know the mpg) I can see that the audio has been transcoded to
448 Kbps, 48 KHz, 6 channels, AC-3.....and that is the mpg that DOES play the sound.

So I guess the conclusion would be that my Philips TV is unable to handle a 640 Kbps AC-3 48 KHz file.

Possibilities

1. Find a way that WMS ONLY transcodes audio (converts AC-3 640 to 448 Kbps)
2. Demux the MKV, convert AC-3 640 to 448 Kbps, and remux the whole thing back into a new MKV
3. Other possibility?

Again help is appreciated
There is a ready-made tools for this, example http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_ ... oConverter. I do not use, but users have mentioned. This can be done in WMS.
Settings - Transcoder - Profiles - Add
Name: Movies - MKV - AC3
Mime-type: video/x-matroska
Transcoding parameters:

Code: Select all

-i "<INPUT FILE>" -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 448000 -ar 48000 -sn -f matroska "<OUTPUT FILE>"
I think it will not work on the fly, but you can perform a test transcoding (after finish, just copy file) or configure pre-transcoding (Settings - Transcoder - Other, Settings - Processing - "Pre transcoding (file)" - Edit - click "Button on the main form").