What about two boxes?

weaver4

Re: What about two boxes?

Post by weaver4 »

BTW you are getting quite a following by me and my friends on this thread.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Dis ... /td-p/6933
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

weaver4 wrote:BTW you are getting quite a following by me and my friends on this thread.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Dis ... /td-p/6933
Thanks for the link :) If you're friends will be able to obtain from WDTV Live new features (DVD, BD Menu, external subtitles), I am ready to support them in the server.
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

Eugene wrote:
weaver4 wrote:Hmm, I tried the Xbox and the list showed up, but nothing would play. It would try to play but after a few second it would go back to the list.
If the ability to play WDTV and Popcorn approximately the same, select for Popcorn WDTV configuration and change type name to Popcorn XBOX.
I guess I don't understand how to change the "type name to Popcorn XBOX". Where do you do that? I have a combo box, but none of the choices are "Popcorn XBOX". I tried using the save button at the bottom of the form but it won't let me save because of permissions, even if I am administrator. So I found the configuration files and copied the WD*.cfg to popcornhour*.cfg; but that seems kind of stupid.

And my other box is a WDTV-Live box so I don't want to lose the configuration for that.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

weaver4 wrote:
Eugene wrote:
weaver4 wrote:Hmm, I tried the Xbox and the list showed up, but nothing would play. It would try to play but after a few second it would go back to the list.
If the ability to play WDTV and Popcorn approximately the same, select for Popcorn WDTV configuration and change type name to Popcorn XBOX.
I guess I don't understand how to change the "type name to Popcorn XBOX". Where do you do that? I have a combo box, but none of the choices are "Popcorn XBOX". I tried using the save button at the bottom of the form but it won't let me save because of permissions, even if I am administrator. So I found the configuration files and copied the WD*.cfg to popcornhour*.cfg; but that seems kind of stupid.

And my other box is a WDTV-Live box so I don't want to lose the configuration for that.
Specify in field "Type": Popcorn XBOX
popcornxbox.JPG
popcornxbox.JPG (81.12 KiB) Viewed 9449 times
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

OK, I got that to work.

It is now showing the list of movies, but when I click on one of them the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the list of movies comes back up.

I noticed on the list of movies that the icon for each movie is the icon that is normally used for a photo or picture. I looked on the device page and *.mkv, *.mp4 and *.avi's all show up as extensions for movies, not for pictures.

So now what should I try?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

weaver4 wrote:OK, I got that to work.

It is now showing the list of movies, but when I click on one of them the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the list of movies comes back up.

I noticed on the list of movies that the icon for each movie is the icon that is normally used for a photo or picture. I looked on the device page and *.mkv, *.mp4 and *.avi's all show up as extensions for movies, not for pictures.

So now what should I try?
The device supports the thumbnails ? If not, then they should disable: Individual settings client device - Thumbnails - turn off "Transfer thumbnail movies, photos, album covers", restart server.
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

I did that and we are getting close! The unit will now play *.mkv and *.mp4 files but says that *.avi's are unplayable. Of course they will really play. The unit does not actually try to play them; the Icon in front of the movie name show's they are unplayable and and soon as you click them the popcorn says "Unplayable". The avi's contain xvid/divx video and mp3 for audio.

Embedded file support says it supports:

Movies: asf,avi,divx,dvr-ms,m2t,m2ts,mkv,mov,mp4,mpeg,mpg,tp,ts,vob,wmv,xvid

Audio: ac3,aif,aiff,dts,flac,lpcm,mka,mp1,mp2,mp3,mp4,mpa,pcm,wav,wma

So it shows that it supports avi,divx,xvid,mp3

So what do I do now?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

weaver4 wrote:I did that and we are getting close! The unit will now play *.mkv and *.mp4 files but says that *.avi's are unplayable. Of course they will really play. The unit does not actually try to play them; the Icon in front of the movie name show's they are unplayable and and soon as you click them the popcorn says "Unplayable". The avi's contain xvid/divx video and mp3 for audio.

Embedded file support says it supports:

Movies: asf,avi,divx,dvr-ms,m2t,m2ts,mkv,mov,mp4,mpeg,mpg,tp,ts,vob,wmv,xvid

Audio: ac3,aif,aiff,dts,flac,lpcm,mka,mp1,mp2,mp3,mp4,mpa,pcm,wav,wma

So it shows that it supports avi,divx,xvid,mp3

So what do I do now?
In the form "Individual settings client device" on the button "File types" try to change the mime-type for avi-files on
video/x-msvideo or video/x-ms-avi or video/avi or video/divx.
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

Works! I noticed that *.divx was working so I looked and the type was video/avi so I changed avi type to video/avi from video/x-ms-avi and it started working.

Also I noticed that if you bring up Windows Media Player find the Wild Media Server, select videos; they show up as unplayable there too. You might want to fix that.

Knowing all this are you going to make a new Popcornhour.cfg file. If so I will test it for you.

BTW: when I make these changes, like this one, and the changing the type to "Popcorn XBOX" where are they stored? Can I save this configuration into a *.cfg file? If so do you want me to do that and send the cfg file to you so you can distribute it? Why did the type need to be called Popcorn XBOX and not just Popcorn?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

weaver4 wrote:Works! I noticed that *.divx was working so I looked and the type was video/avi so I changed avi type to video/avi from video/x-ms-avi and it started working.

Also I noticed that if you bring up Windows Media Player find the Wild Media Server, select videos; they show up as unplayable there too. You might want to fix that.

Knowing all this are you going to make a new Popcornhour.cfg file. If so I will test it for you.

BTW: when I make these changes, like this one, and the changing the type to "Popcorn XBOX" where are they stored?
In the program settings wms.cfg (?:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Wild Media Server for Windows XP), it stores all the program settings.
weaver4 wrote: Can I save this configuration into a *.cfg file?
Yes, in the form of "Individual setting client device" (button Save)
weaver4 wrote: If so do you want me to do that and send the cfg file to you so you can distribute it?
It would be great.
weaver4 wrote: Why did the type need to be called Popcorn XBOX and not just Popcorn?
At this point, if the device type contain XBOX, the server uses the identifier used by the XBox. What is the problem with Popcorn, not known for certain. Try the version 0.72.2 to remove the name of the XBOX, turn on the short (16 characters) identifiers of media resources (Individual client device settings - Thumnails, identifiers) and turn on "Authorization service", if not help, the next version I will use identification of media resources XBox (Windows Media Sharing) and for devices that contain the name of the type Popcorn.