Control without license

pipTheGeek

Control without license

Post by pipTheGeek »

I have a TV and a Yamaha AV Reciever that I use with WMS. (Really happy with it as well. Thanks for some cool software) I have software that allows me to control both of these using my Android mobile phone. However, WMS won't allow my phone to browse the library because it doesn't have a license. I don't really want to buy a license for my phone because I don't tend to keep a phone very long, so, my request is for to allow a device to browse the library without it needing a license. It would then tell a licensed device to play the media.

I realise that this isn't directly compatable with your recent change to allow a renderer not to require a license but maybe you could allow WMS to use one of two license models? One where the renderer has to be licensed, one where the controller is licensed?

My other thought, with the "Extend trial" feature (really nice idea by the way) you obviously have the ability to issue expiring keys. How about allowing people to buy a 1 year (for example) license that could be used with things like phones, then, when it expires you could get an activation code for a different device? Don't know if you'd want the hassle of tracking who had bought what licenses and when they expired, so you could instead just sell a time limited license for a lesser fee and people just buy another one when it expires. So I get a new phone on a 2 year contract, buy a WMS 2 year license for some small amount, when I get a new phone I just buy another WMS license.
Eugene

Re: Control without license

Post by Eugene »

I understand you correctly ?

You do not want to buy a license for 15 USD for 2 years.
You do not want to help others users - Territory of free licenses.
You do not want use Bonus licences.

Ok, maybe this feature will be through the Web-interface.
pipTheGeek

Re: Control without license

Post by pipTheGeek »

Eugene wrote:I understand you correctly ?

You do not want to buy a license for 15 USD for 2 years.
You do not want to help others users - Territory of free licenses.
You do not want use Bonus licences.

Ok, maybe this feature will be through the Web-interface.
You are correct that I don't want to use a permament license (neither bought, free or bonus) for a phone, because it is a device that I don't intend to have for very long. I'd love to be able to help people with using the software (even without free stuff from you) but I'm not currently an expert on it. I'd like to be, which was why I was asking for documention on it in a different thread (and offered to help with it if I could), but I'm not.

I'm not worried about this. I love the product and will contine to use it. For me, it would be a nice to have, maybe see if anyone else thinks this would be a good idea.

PS.
Updated to 1.14.3 yesterday, really like the new "play on" feature. I run WMS on a virtual that acts as a server so I don't generally use console access, I was going to ask for a seperate app that would allow this function to be used from a desktop PC. But yes, adding the "Play on" feature to the web interface would be great especailly if you keep the ability to create a playlist like you can in the WMS.