BDP-S580/BDP-BX58

localhost

BDP-S580/BDP-BX58

Post by localhost »

Hello,
I recently upgraded my blu-ray from the BX57 (aka BDP-S570 + a free hdmi cable) to the BX58 model (again, exact same model as the BDP-S580).
Just wanted to give a heads up that everything seems to be working great with the existing S570 config file, and i would be happy to do some additional testing if needed.

localhost
Eugene

Re: BDP-S580/BDP-BX58

Post by Eugene »

Hello,

I made ​​some changes "Sony BDP-S480/S580/S780 (DLNA, 16:9, 720x406)" (by specification)
sonybdp_2011_dlna_wide_720x406.zip
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 1357 times
In previous models, the players did not show the type mkv in DLNA-mode (with tricks mkv as divx, avi, ...). Has anything changed ?

P.S. Improvements are rewarded a free licenses
localhost

Post by localhost »

Hi Eugene,
I tested out the new config file with an mkv file and it appears to be working great.

ImageImage

Playback over wifi was smooth and flawless, and the video quality was amazingly great (and in the original full 1080p i believe). However, the audio did appeared to be ac3 even though the original mkv had a DTS track (might just be an issue with the sony OSD, so i'll have to double check this on my receiver), and fast forwarding on the blu-ray did cause the video to go black and i had to start the video over to get the picture back.

btw, here is some info on the mkv I tested:

Code: Select all

General
Complete name                    : King.Kong.2005.Extended.Cut.1080p.HDDVD-BluRay.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 17.6 GiB
Duration                         : 3h 20mn
Overall bit rate                 : 12.6 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-02-08 23:38:39
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.4.2 ('Oh My God') built on Jan 18 2009 17:30:28
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Cover                            : Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 11.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.293
Stream size                      : 15.0 GiB (85%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 66 r1101M b69548a
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=0.8:0.8 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=11000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
Language                         : English

Audio #1
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 2.11 GiB (12%)
Title                            : DTS, 5.1, 1536 kbps
Language                         : English
please let me know if there is anything else i can test out or if you need any more info on the player.

localhost
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Thanks for info, in the list of media resources, the player indicates the type of file MKV, MP4 (in DLNA mode) ?
localhost

Post by localhost »

Hey, sorry Eugene, I think I had WMS set to use the old 570 config instead of the new one. I tested it out again with the new 580 config and now it's saying corrupt file on the bluray.. :(
dajatje

Post by dajatje »

I own a Sony BDP-S480 with the latest Sony firmware installed. I have it working like a charm with Wild Media Server :D

In order to have it working using DLNA over wired network connection I picked the default Sony DBP profile (S470) that came with the server and amended the following settings:
I added mkv to the list of extensions for films
I removed avi from the list of extensions for films because a lot of my avi videos are in fact divx which it does not render
I removed divx from the list of extensions for films
In the filetype settings window I emptied the DLNA field for mkv to prevent WMS to override the mime-type to m2ts since the player has full mkv support
I made sure that the max video resolution is set to 1920x1080

I am able to play the following:
My Sony AVCHD video camera files (m2ts)
MKV 1920x1080 with multi audio and subtitle tracks. One can select audio/subtitle track using the player's remote control
MKV 3D SBS
ISO files
VOB files
MPG files

I found some restrictions though:
So far I have not been able to play videos without freezing every couple of seconds when the bit rate exceeds 25mbps. I have not tried those using a USB drive, so it still might be just a network interface limit. My rule of thumb so far is that if the MKV is around 12GB it will play it without problems over DLNA.

I have been playing around with 3D, which works fine, but I have not been able to get subtitles working properly in 3D. Still investigating this.

I will keep playing around with this and if I find more tweaks I will add them to this topic.
KenH

Post by KenH »

I have a Sony BDP-S580 and things seem to be working OK, with the exception of DMR.
The Sony is listed in the Renderer List and if I double click on it's icon I am able to get to the screen with the playback control and the playlist. However, even when there are .avi files in the playlist that I have sent to the DMR either via "Play To" or via drag and drop onto the DVR in the Renderer list window, I cannot seem to play them.

I have the message at the top saying "NO_MEDIA_PRESENT.

If I start a video playing from the remote control of my Blu Ray play, I can see that the DMR playback control in WMS is being impacted and can be used to control the bluray player. For example, if I pause the bluray player with it's own remote this pauses the playback in the DMR window. I can also restart the video by pressing the play button in the DMR window. When the video is paused, the DMR window also shows me the pause time and total time of the video, and these correspond exactly to what I see from the bluray player on my TV screen.

My only problem is that I cannot initiate the playback of a video from the DMR controls. What am I doing wrong?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

KenH wrote:I have a Sony BDP-S580 and things seem to be working OK, with the exception of DMR.
The Sony is listed in the Renderer List and if I double click on it's icon I am able to get to the screen with the playback control and the playlist. However, even when there are .avi files in the playlist that I have sent to the DMR either via "Play To" or via drag and drop onto the DVR in the Renderer list window, I cannot seem to play them.

I have the message at the top saying "NO_MEDIA_PRESENT.

If I start a video playing from the remote control of my Blu Ray play, I can see that the DMR playback control in WMS is being impacted and can be used to control the bluray player. For example, if I pause the bluray player with it's own remote this pauses the playback in the DMR window. I can also restart the video by pressing the play button in the DMR window. When the video is paused, the DMR window also shows me the pause time and total time of the video, and these correspond exactly to what I see from the bluray player on my TV screen.

My only problem is that I cannot initiate the playback of a video from the DMR controls. What am I doing wrong?
Try update to 1.50.1.
Benman

Post by Benman »

dajatje wrote:
I found some restrictions though:
So far I have not been able to play videos without freezing every couple of seconds when the bit rate exceeds 25mbps. I have not tried those using a USB drive, so it still might be just a network interface limit. My rule of thumb so far is that if the MKV is around 12GB it will play it without problems over DLNA.
I have the same problem with my BDP-S480 on my Sony 55 kdl hx750 TV. On my TV i can view the data that is being transfered and above 25-30 Mbps it start to stutter. Movie is slowing down, sound starts stuttering. Then when i click pause for a second and click play again the movie runs fine for a some seconds and then it begins again. It looks like a buffering problem to me but i do not know which of the devices is the problem. It can be PC, Bluray player or TV. It might even be a cable-problem.
pipTheGeek

Post by pipTheGeek »

My Sony TV has a similar problem. As far as I can tell, it is the processor IN the TV that can't keep up with decoding the high bit rate stream. I have had to reduce the bit rate for my TV down to about 7mbps, anything more and it can't cope, other devices (like the PS3) are fine though, which is why I am pretty sure it is the TV causing the problem and not WMS or the network.