WMS under Linux / wine

amegyeri

WMS under Linux / wine

Post by amegyeri »

Hi

I want to run WMS on my linux box, and I am investigating two options:
1) Run WMS under wine
2) Run WMS in a Windows virtual box (under Xen 4.0.1 - hvm)

I want to use the transcoding feature as well, as my Panasonic Viera GT20 tv does not support mkv.

If using wine, I do not see subtitles or the transcoding fps either on the media device.

The questions:
1) Wichi would be the more preferred approach Wine or XEN?
2) What could be wrong with the subtitles in Wine?
3) Is is possible to use CoreAVC under wine (it looks to me the most efficient transcoder)
4) I'm planning to upgrade my CPU to Athlon II X4 630. Would this be sufficient for a fullhd->mpg transoding in any of the scenarios above?
5) This tv supports AVCHD playback. Isn't it planned to include a functionality such as remxing mkv h.264 into AVCHD format? (a great app called multiavchd does it, though only offine)
6) One strange thing I noticed during transcoding: I get fps values that are below the required target (e.g. 17 instead of 23+) but the CPU is far from being fully utilized. This happens in Windows, Wine and XEN as well. What could be the reason for this? (HDD is a Raid-1 mirror, 7200 rpm, so it shouldn't be the bottleneck - it has over 40 MB/s)

Some details on the system:
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, 4 GB RAM, 1.5T HDD Raid1, Kernel 2.6.32.25, Xen 4.0.1

I appreciate your help in advance! :)
Eugene

Re: WMS under Linux / wine

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
amegyeri wrote: The questions:
1) Wichi would be the more preferred approach Wine or XEN?
I think you should pay attention to the speed of transcoding
amegyeri wrote: 2) What could be wrong with the subtitles in Wine?
Wine version, to support the subtitles uses gdiplus.
amegyeri wrote: 3) Is is possible to use CoreAVC under wine (it looks to me the most efficient transcoder)
The simplest thing - check it out, or ask the developers CoreAVC
amegyeri wrote: 4) I'm planning to upgrade my CPU to Athlon II X4 630. Would this be sufficient for a fullhd->mpg transoding in any of the scenarios above?
If upgrade is associated with the transcoding, it is better to buy a network media player.
amegyeri wrote: 5) This tv supports AVCHD playback. Isn't it planned to include a functionality such as remxing mkv h.264 into AVCHD format? (a great app called multiavchd does it, though only offine)
Transcodng profile "Movies-TsMuxer"
amegyeri wrote: 6) One strange thing I noticed during transcoding: I get fps values that are below the required target (e.g. 17 instead of 23+) but the CPU is far from being fully utilized. This happens in Windows, Wine and XEN as well. What could be the reason for this? (HDD is a Raid-1 mirror, 7200 rpm, so it shouldn't be the bottleneck - it has over 40 MB/s)
One of the reasons - multitasking operating system.
amegyeri

Post by amegyeri »

Thanks Eugene.

According to my tests Wine performs better than a XEN virtual Windows.
Once I installed gdiplus, subs starte to work, thanks.

CoreAVC - I tried it, and it doesn't work for me. It installs flawlessly under wine, but still WMS do not seem to use it. I would like to start troubleshooting, but have no idea where to start. Could you provide me some guideline? I don't really understand how WMS actually executes the codec.
I don't think CoreAVC support will assist me with configuration of 3rd party apps like WMS.

BTW, my reason to turn to CoreAVC is purely the performance and utilization of additional cores. Currently It seems that no matter how many threads I configure in WMS, only the first one seems to have a real cpu load (default transcoding), the other processes (monitored from htop) seem to be almost idle. Therefore I have the feeling that even if I upgrade my CPU to 4 cores I will have no performance benefits. (I am transcoding from mkv/h.264 to mpeg2, not wmv).

If CoreAVC is problematic, is there a way to use the "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" in wine?

I would appreciate comments from other users as well, if they managed to make WMS transcoding work under linux (Full HD).

P.S. 720p transcoding seems to be OK with an AMD 5200+ cpu, but not 1080p
amegyeri

Post by amegyeri »

Eugene, can you please respond to my previous post? Thanks
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

amegyeri wrote:Eugene, can you please respond to my previous post?
Sorry, I find it difficult to talk about work 3rd party apps like "Core AVC" and "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"