Request: Optimal Settings Philips 2010 model PFL7605H/12

pvdossel

Re: Request: Optimal Settings Philips 2010 model PFL7605H/12

Post by pvdossel »

I converted my AC3 file to bitrate 448 kb and muxed it together with the .264 file to a new MKV.
Result: Still no sound!!!

What am I missing here? Transcoding to mpg gives me stuttering video (due to the transcoding process) + good 448 AC3 audio
Using no transcoding the 448 mkv gives me smooth video an no audio.

I previously did a test with an MKV containing MP3 and also that gave me no sound.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:I converted my AC3 file to bitrate 448 kb and muxed it together with the .264 file to a new MKV.
Result: Still no sound!!!

What am I missing here? Transcoding to mpg gives me stuttering video (due to the transcoding process) + good 448 AC3 audio
Using no transcoding the 448 mkv gives me smooth video an no audio.

I previously did a test with an MKV containing MP3 and also that gave me no sound.
What you used to create the mkv?
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

Eugene wrote: What you used to create the mkv?
mkvmerge GUI
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:
Eugene wrote: What you used to create the mkv?
mkvmerge GUI
It was informed that version 4.X use the compression headers and devices have a problem with mkv
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

Eugene wrote: It was informed that version 4.X use the compression headers and devices have a problem with mkv

RIGHT!!!!! Eugene....you were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!

After remuxing the .264 and .AC3 in mkvmerge and explicitely set compression to "none" the MKV works as a charm!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for all the help!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

pvdossel wrote:
Eugene wrote: It was informed that version 4.X use the compression headers and devices have a problem with mkv

RIGHT!!!!! Eugene....you were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!

After remuxing the .264 and .AC3 in mkvmerge and explicitely set compression to "none" the MKV works as a charm!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for all the help!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks for the notice, I'm glad too :D
jokercho

Post by jokercho »

Hi Guys,
I'm struggling with showing subtitles.
Is it possible with the media server? Can I add them on the fly via plugin or the only option is to encode again the video with subtitles in?
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

jokercho wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm struggling with showing subtitles.
Is it possible with the media server? Can I add them on the fly via plugin or the only option is to encode again the video with subtitles in?
I do not think this question belongs in this section of the forum (unless you have the same TV like me :D ). But let me answer it anyway:

I have been struggling with showing subtitles as well. Every single Media Server Software I've tried gave me a headache it when it came to using AVI or MKV in combination with SRT subtitles. This was mostly because forcing the subtitle to be displayed required certain setting to be set properly in ffdshow video configuration, and depending on which codec packs you were using it may or may not work. So I struggled with (re/un)installing codec packs like K-lite, CCCP, (re/un-)installed Hakii Media Splitter, (re)installed various versions off ffdshow, (re/un)installed VobSub, and many, many more things that were suggested to me in dozens of forums.

But now I have discovered Wild Media Server, and it turns out that showing subtitles works completely different then all the other Media Server Software. In my case a clean install of WMS immediately showed the SRT subs, but it could be that in your case you need to do other actions. This is all mentioned in the following topic:

http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... p?f=3&t=27

It would be nice if Eugene could explain us what the main trick is with WMS and why other software is always using ffdshow to get subtitles to work.

Let us know if you get it to work, and tell me what you had to do in order to get it to work.
Of course, but you may already know that, is that the SRT file should have the exact same name as the AVI or MKV file.
jokercho

Post by jokercho »

Hi,
I have Philips 37PFL7605H/12. I bought it for my bedroom. I already have a media PC in my living room and for me was very important to have a TV that will be able to play the movies from there via LAN. So I bought this model and until this moment I'm using the standard media server included in Windows 7. It plays the movies fine but without subtitles. The subtitles are even not loaded if I play the movie from the USB in the TV. My conclusion is that this TV just not support subtitles. This was also confirmed from the Philips support. I asked them whether they plan to support externmal subtitles in any new firmware and they told me to check for such upgrades in their site in the future without telling whether they plan or not to support it.
So I started lookig for a media server that will be able to embed the subtitles on the fly while it is streamed through DLNA (this was the reason for my questions here). In general I don't want to touch video stream because the TV has good hardware decoder and plays the videos very smoothly, but I'm not sure whether this will be posible. From the topic that you pointed me seems that this could be possible but it was explained only for TVs that support subtitles by technical specification (like Samsung).
Anyway as this server I just found and still not played with it I'll try what is possible to be done with it in this direction. I'll update you when I have results.
pvdossel

Post by pvdossel »

jokercho wrote:Hi,
I have Philips 37PFL7605H/12. I bought it for my bedroom. I already have a media PC in my living room and for me was very important to have a TV that will be able to play the movies from there via LAN. So I bought this model and until this moment I'm using the standard media server included in Windows 7. It plays the movies fine but without subtitles. The subtitles are even not loaded if I play the movie from the USB in the TV. My conclusion is that this TV just not support subtitles. This was also confirmed from the Philips support. I asked them whether they plan to support externmal subtitles in any new firmware and they told me to check for such upgrades in their site in the future without telling whether they plan or not to support it.
So I started lookig for a media server that will be able to embed the subtitles on the fly while it is streamed through DLNA (this was the reason for my questions here). In general I don't want to touch video stream because the TV has good hardware decoder and plays the videos very smoothly, but I'm not sure whether this will be posible. From the topic that you pointed me seems that this could be possible but it was explained only for TVs that support subtitles by technical specification (like Samsung).
Anyway as this server I just found and still not played with it I'll try what is possible to be done with it in this direction. I'll update you when I have results.
Great TV isn't it? Yeah, subtitles in not supported (clearly mentioned in usermanual and double-confirmed with Philips Helpdesk), so is normal playback of DVDs with menus (only VOB files).

So basically you were in the same position I was in, and you will encounter the same problems with MKV files if you attempt to play them (result no audio).

Anyway Wild Media Server will handle with Philips' shortcomings on not being able to play subtitles.
The only issue which you may encounter when playing MKV files that have a DTS audio track (also not supported by Philips), is that Wild Media Player has to do live transcoding (to AC3) and unfortunately with our Philips TV this will result in video stuttering. My solution is to demux the MKV into separate .264 and .dts file and use the program DAudioK to convert dts to AC3 5.1. Then merge the .264 and .ac3 file back into a new MKV using mkvmerge, but with the compressed heading feature set to "none".

Result, perfectly streaming FullHD MKV files, no video/audio transcoding necessary.

The only problem is when using SRT subtitles it starts transcoding again, with the result a stuttering image (see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=564&p=3397#p3397