WDTV Live & IPlayer problem

Hoddy

WDTV Live & IPlayer problem

Post by Hoddy »

Hi, I can't seem to get the BBC IPlayer podcast work correctly with my WDTV Live box. I can select the IPlayer program I want to watch and after a while it will start to play via my WDTV Live on my TV. BUT after sometimes seconds (can be a couple of minutes) the sound vanishes but the video is still playing. I have a fast internet connection and a 'n' router and films stream fine regardles of file size - the Utube app supplied with the WDTV Live works fine. Are there any settings I can change in WMS to get it working? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hoddy
Eugene

Re: WDTV Live & IPlayer problem

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
Hoddy wrote: I can't seem to get the BBC IPlayer podcast work correctly with my WDTV Live box. I can select the IPlayer program I want to watch and after a while it will start to play via my WDTV Live on my TV. BUT after sometimes seconds (can be a couple of minutes) the sound vanishes but the video is still playing. I have a fast internet connection and a 'n' router and films stream fine regardles of file size - the Utube app supplied with the WDTV Live works fine. Are there any settings I can change in WMS to get it working? Any help would be appreciated.
In the folder properties BBC iPlayer (Edit title) you can select "The original stream", MIME-type video/mp4 or video/x-flv
Hoddy

Post by Hoddy »

Eugene wrote:Hi,
Hoddy wrote: I can't seem to get the BBC IPlayer podcast work correctly with my WDTV Live box. I can select the IPlayer program I want to watch and after a while it will start to play via my WDTV Live on my TV. BUT after sometimes seconds (can be a couple of minutes) the sound vanishes but the video is still playing. I have a fast internet connection and a 'n' router and films stream fine regardles of file size - the Utube app supplied with the WDTV Live works fine. Are there any settings I can change in WMS to get it working? Any help would be appreciated.
In the folder properties BBC iPlayer (Edit title) you can select "The original stream", MIME-type video/mp4 or video/x-flv
Still no joy I'm afraid. When I set to MP4 the WDTV Live can't play the file as the 'file type is not supported' (which is odd as the WDTV Live plays MP4 files)! When I set it to x-flv the sound is out of sync with the video (can be minutes out)! Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again
Hoddy
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Hoddy wrote:
Still no joy I'm afraid. When I set to MP4 the WDTV Live can't play the file as the 'file type is not supported' (which is odd as the WDTV Live plays MP4 files)! When I set it to x-flv the sound is out of sync with the video (can be minutes out)! Is there anything else I can try?
On the right mouse button you can perform a test transcoding, what transcoding speed (fps)?
Hoddy

Post by Hoddy »

Eugene wrote:
Hoddy wrote:
On the right mouse button you can perform a test transcoding, what transcoding speed (fps)?
Thanks for responding. fps started off at 32 dropped to 30 and then dropped again to 25 then slowly started to climb to 28 (over 2600 frames). Is that running it for long enough?

Thanks again
Hoddy
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Hoddy wrote:
Eugene wrote:
Hoddy wrote:
Thanks for responding. fps started off at 32 dropped to 30 and then dropped again to 25 then slowly started to climb to 28 (over 2600 frames). Is that running it for long enough?
In my experience with WDTV Live, he does not like any problems with the stream. The most common problems with the sound, there is no ready solutions. Judging by the speed of transcoding, the connection with BBC is not fast enough.
Hoddy

Post by Hoddy »

Eugene wrote:
Hoddy wrote:
Eugene wrote:
Hoddy wrote:
In my experience with WDTV Live, he does not like any problems with the stream. The most common problems with the sound, there is no ready solutions. Judging by the speed of transcoding, the connection with BBC is not fast enough.
I assume then that there is no 'fix'? Out of interest what would you expect the fps to be? Is it not possible to buffer the IPlayer stream before the transcoding starts? I do find it odd that the Iplayer stream is to slow as even the IPlayer HD files play fine when streamed to me PC (I have a 10Mb link) - I also tried TVersity Media Server which played the IPlayer ok but at poor resolution and it also wouldn't play all my mkv files. I also forgot to mention that WMS tended to 'crash' when I exited the program after trying to play the IPlayer files. I also can't get the MTV podcasts to work either.......

Regards
Hoddy
bubblegum

Post by bubblegum »

I don't think MTV will play outside the USA, just like BBc iplayer won't play outside UK. Will MTV play on your pc?

Unless you go through a proxy.