.mkv with Sony Bravia

entropy

.mkv with Sony Bravia

Post by entropy »

Don't know if it matters, but this is my setup.....

TV
Sony Bravia KDL-32W5500

Computer
CPU: 3.16GHz Dual Core
Ram: 4gig
HDD: Big =8)

Network
Hard Wired Switch (not Hub). Net comes into Hub --> Hub goes to Switch --> Machines & TV wired to Switch

So... Puter --> Switch --> TV

I have a problem - well, actually, I have lots of problems, but I'm guessing you fine folks aren't interested in those, so I'll stick with the one I have with WMS :lol:

I'm sure I could play .mkv's without going through the "Transcoder" folder before (in v0.73).
Because I have absolutely no idea what transcoding is about, and when I put 0.73 on, I was happy about it being able to play all my ripped movies just by going through on the TV the video --> name of computer --> movies --> watched folder folder - unless I only thought I'd tried a .mkv before... you know what they say about old age!!! :roll: :lol:

Anyway, after installing v1.01 a couple of days ago, my .mkv's stopped working (if they were in the 1st place), so I looked in the "Transcoder" folder, & figured out I could run 'em from there :D Only trouble is, they're slightly jerky to me.
One of my son's is saying, they actually look to be running (about) x1/2 speed quicker. After he mentioned that, I could see how he may be right.

Have read what I could find on here about .mkv's, & have tried a lot of different suggestions/settings, even though I have NO idea of what's been written or what I'm doing.
Nothing changes :cry:

Could someone help step me through this please, in extremely simple words...thing talking to a child =8D
bubblegum

Re: .mkv with Sony Bravia

Post by bubblegum »

Hi, like you, I don't really understand all this transcoding. I use Home plugs or a network cable direct from Router to TV.

Like you I have a Sony 37W5500. I have a recently screened Tv series about the war on the other side of the world from Europe.

Anyway, they are mkv. I am able to play them through my Watch folder. I do find they stop now & again, so I press pause, on the TV remote. Wait a couple of minutes, then start again.

So, here are my settings, if they are any help.

Transcoder, Transcoding Profile Movies Primary 1920x1080, Extension mpeg; Mime type video/mpeg; File size for start transfer 1024 KByte
:)

PS, your pc has better specs than mine. 3.4Ghz 2Gb RAM
entropy

Post by entropy »

Thanks for the try Bubblegum :)
Only thing different I had was "Movies Primary 1280x720". Changed it over to same as you, & it's still the same :(
BTW. Only up on you with my ram, which isn't used to full potential anyways with XP *LOL*

Cheers :)
entropy

Post by entropy »

Anyone with more thoughts please?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

1. Settings-Device-select type "Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9, 1280x720)" - OK.

For problematic video:
1. In list of movies on right click mouse "Test Transcoding", fps ?
2. In list of movies on right click mouse "Transcoding profile" - "Movies-TsMuxer", playback on TV ?
entropy

Post by entropy »

Everything right, except have DLNA 1.5 & had set as 1920x1080 - now changed to 1280x720
It says from...

Frame 119001 to 121148 - fps=123
Frame 121227 to 121586 - fps=124
Frame 121642 to 131767 - fps=123
Frame 131838 to 137839 - fps=124
At the end..."up=137 drop=0"

Hope it makes sense to you!!! *LOL*
2. In list of movies on right click mouse "Transcoding profile" - "Movies-TsMuxer", playback on TV ?
Tried...
Movies - TsMuxer
Movies - TsMuxer - DVD
Movies - DirectShow - TsMuxer
No change :(

Tried a few of the other Profiles while I was at it.
Of interest, while playing around with the Profiles, sometimes the .mkv files would play straight from the "Watch Folders", without going through the "Transcoding" folder
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

entropy wrote:
Everything right, except have DLNA 1.5 & had set as 1920x1080 - now changed to 1280x720
It says from...

Frame 119001 to 121148 - fps=123
Frame 121227 to 121586 - fps=124
Frame 121642 to 131767 - fps=123
Frame 131838 to 137839 - fps=124
At the end..."up=137 drop=0"

Hope it makes sense to you!!! *LOL*
Tried...
Movies - TsMuxer
Movies - TsMuxer - DVD
Movies - DirectShow - TsMuxer
No change :(

Tried a few of the other Profiles while I was at it.
Of interest, while playing around with the Profiles, sometimes the .mkv files would play straight from the "Watch Folders", without going through the "Transcoding" folder
Settings-Transcoder-Execution of transcoding-Maximum advance transcoding - set to 0.
Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame"-Video-"Frame rate"-set to 25.

If you do not change program settings, mkv should be played through transcoding, regardless of the place of choice.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Only had to change "Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame"-Video-"Frame rate"-set to 25.'.
Was "0"
No change, lost FF/RW ability :(

.avi's play fine. Guess I'll just have to stop having .mkv
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

entropy wrote:Only had to change "Settings-Transcoder-"Codecs, frame"-Video-"Frame rate"-set to 25.'.
Was "0"
No change, lost FF/RW ability :(
Settings-Device-turn on Files: Positioning (DLNA) - "By time", turn on Chunked
entropy wrote: .avi's play fine. Guess I'll just have to stop having .mkv
You did "Transcoding profile-Clear profile" for problematic mkv ?
entropy

Post by entropy »

Settings-Device-turn on Files: Positioning (DLNA) - "By time", turn on Chunked
Had it on before, but for some reason, was back at "position in file". Changed back.
You did "Transcoding profile-Clear profile" for problematic mkv ?
Yep, did that for each TsMuxer test.

Like I posted @ the beginning, don't understand any of this technical stuff :roll:
So all that is happening is, I'm flying blind, & dragging you along with me :(

I appreciate the help mate, but it does play my .avi's, & is a hell of a lot better (& easier) than any other dlna app/server that I've tried.
So for a bloke who's more at home working with his back instead of his brain, I'm more than happy.
I think we'll leave it here, because I'm getting a head-ache :lol:
I'll just keep checking the board now & then. Thanks for the help bubblegum & Eugene :) :) :)