Diff between "Pre-transcoding" & "on-the-fly transcoding"?

Irfie

Diff between "Pre-transcoding" & "on-the-fly transcoding"?

Post by Irfie »

Greetings,

I was having the problem of jerky video (pausing and playing continuously) with .mkv files especially with 1920x1080 resolution. Workaround was starting the video and then pausing it for about ten minutes and then playing again. Suspecting the on-the-fly decoding, I tried Pre-Transcoding and the result was fine.
Now the only question that I have is:
"Is there any difference of video/audio quality between a file that is played directly with on-the-fly transcoding and the same file which is first pre-transcoded and then played ? A 3.4 GB file in .mkv was reduced to 2.4 GB when pre-transcoded to MPEG. What is the disadvantage of pre-transcoding over on-the-fly transcoding; in my case I don't need sub-titles.

I am using Bravia 46EX700 with a cable connected PC AMD 64x2 Dual Core processor having 3GB RAM.

And thanks for the wonderful program.

Regards,
Irfie.
Eugene

Re: Diff between "Pre-transcoding" & "on-the-fly transcoding"?

Post by Eugene »

Hello,
Irfie wrote:
I was having the problem of jerky video (pausing and playing continuously) with .mkv files especially with 1920x1080 resolution. Workaround was starting the video and then pausing it for about ten minutes and then playing again. Suspecting the on-the-fly decoding, I tried Pre-Transcoding and the result was fine.
Now the only question that I have is:
"Is there any difference of video/audio quality between a file that is played directly with on-the-fly transcoding and the same file which is first pre-transcoded and then played ? A 3.4 GB file in .mkv was reduced to 2.4 GB when pre-transcoded to MPEG. What is the disadvantage of pre-transcoding over on-the-fly transcoding; in my case I don't need sub-titles.

I am using Bravia 46EX700 with a cable connected PC AMD 64x2 Dual Core processor having 3GB RAM.
Pre-transcoding uses default settings, if the device has individual settings, the quality can vary as the better and for worse - depending on settings (frame size, bitrate).