Sony blu-ray players: BDP-S370 / 470 / 570 / 770

grolschie

Sony blu-ray players: BDP-S370 / 470 / 570 / 770

Post by grolschie »

Hello.

Can anyone recommend some profile settings for these players please?

DLNA Test Certificates:
BDP-S370: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG46337567.pdf
BDP-S470: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG24686364.pdf
BDP-S570: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG26152538.pdf
BDP-S770*: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG44333171.pdf

*I don't think that this player has been released at the time of writing this.

I have tested with WMP11 on XP and I can stream the following files to the BDP-S370 (as-is, without transcoding) when renamed to a .avi extension - even though some are not .avi files:
  • Xvid (720x576) with DTS 5.1 (48hz, 754kbps) audio.
  • AVC (1920x1088, 8.87 Mbps according to WMP) with DD 2.0 (48hz, 192kbps) audio.
  • WMV (640x480) with WMA 2.0 (48hz, 16bit, 128kbps audio).
The product manual says that the BDP-S370 can play (I am guessing off a disc) MPEG1/2, MP3, AAC, DiVX, MP4, LPCM, WMV9, WMA9.

With WMS 1.02, I have managed to stream some Internet TV channels (wmv streams with a mms url), but they always seem to be transcoded into MPEG (due to my settings). The player can play WMV files, so is there a way to stream these to the player without transcoding?

Any tips on creating a profile for this player please, especially for internet streaming?

Also, the internet TV streams that are transcoded, is there a way to speed up the delay before playback actually occurs please?

Many thanks in advance.
Eugene

Re: Sony blu-ray players: BDP-S370 / 470 / 570 / 770

Post by Eugene »

Hello,
grolschie wrote: Can anyone recommend some profile settings for these players please?

DLNA Test Certificates:
BDP-S370: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG46337567.pdf
BDP-S470: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG24686364.pdf
BDP-S570: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG26152538.pdf
BDP-S770*: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG44333171.pdf

*I don't think that this player has been released at the time of writing this.

I have tested with WMP11 on XP and I can stream the following files to the BDP-S370 (as-is, without transcoding) when renamed to a .avi extension - even though some are not .avi files:
  • Xvid (720x576) with DTS 5.1 (48hz, 754kbps) audio.
  • AVC (1920x1088, 8.87 Mbps according to WMP) with DD 2.0 (48hz, 192kbps) audio.
  • WMV (640x480) with WMA 2.0 (48hz, 16bit, 128kbps audio).
The product manual says that the BDP-S370 can play (I am guessing off a disc) MPEG1/2, MP3, AAC, DiVX, MP4, LPCM, WMV9, WMA9.

With WMS 1.02, I have managed to stream some Internet TV channels (wmv streams with a mms url), but they always seem to be transcoded into MPEG (due to my settings). The player can play WMV files, so is there a way to stream these to the player without transcoding?

Any tips on creating a profile for this player please, especially for internet streaming?

Also, the internet TV streams that are transcoded, is there a way to speed up the delay before playback actually occurs please?

Many thanks in advance.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-d ... nicalSpecs
WMV (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) YES / YES / YES / YES / NO

I think the player does not support WMV via DLNA.
Devices buffers video, this may involve delay the start of playing.
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

Thanks for the reply and information. I notice that the player did not play radio streams that were transcoded into LPCM. EDIT: Which I guess is .wav - which that webpage says it doesn't support over DLNA. Thanks.

I have another issue. I have added a couple of WMA internet radio streams to WMS, including a WMA Pro stream. I have made a copy of the "Music (VLC) - MP3" transcoder profile, and increased the bitrate from 192k to 320k. This worked. However, after listening to another stream, all WMA streams then give unsupported or corrupt file error. Restarting WMS allows the stream to play. Changing the transcoding profile back to 192k one and restarting WMS seems to fix this I think. Any ideas on what is happening please? Thanks in advance.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

grolschie wrote:I notice that the player did not play radio streams that were transcoded into LPCM.

I have another issue. I have added a couple of WMA internet radio streams to WMS, including a WMA Pro stream. I have made a copy of the "Music (VLC) - MP3" transcoder profile, and increased the bitrate from 192k to 320k. This worked. However, after listening to another stream, all WMA streams then give unsupported or corrupt file error. Restarting WMS allows the stream to play. Changing the transcoding profile back to 192k one and restarting WMS seems to fix this I think. Any ideas on what is happening please? Thanks in advance.
For online resources, better use VLC to transcode.
Regarding the problem, tried to perform a test transcoding after the problem occurred?
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

I will try that. Thank you. :)
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

I have done a test transcode. It generates a valid 320kbit MP3 file in the folder. Trying to play the original stream preset on the player gives error "The file is corrupted or the music file is not supported". Playing other wmv streams transcoded to MP3 320k, also gives the same error. Playing MP3 streams are fine because they are not being transcoded.

If I press the "Restart Server" button I now get a "Invalid Pointer Operation" error, and "Access Violation...." error. I press again and I get "A component named StatusFrm already exists". The server won't start, so I have to exit. Exiting WMS completely, and restarting the program fixes it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

I think that I may have located the problem. The WMA V2 stream above seems to be causing some problems. It's nothing to do with the bitrate profile I mentioned earlier, I think. As soon as I have played this stream, other streams that require transcoding won't play until I exit WMS and re-start WMS program. When I play that stream, sometimes no bitrate appears on screen even though it's set by the VLC profile.

Attached is the debug log. Many thanks.
Attachments
wms.zip
Log.
(25.92 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

grolschie wrote:I have done a test transcode. It generates a valid 320kbit MP3 file in the folder. Trying to play the original stream preset on the player gives error "The file is corrupted or the music file is not supported". Playing other wmv streams transcoded to MP3 320k, also gives the same error. Playing MP3 streams are fine because they are not being transcoded.

If I press the "Restart Server" button I now get a "Invalid Pointer Operation" error, and "Access Violation...." error. I press again and I get "A component named StatusFrm already exists". The server won't start, so I have to exit. Exiting WMS completely, and restarting the program fixes it.

The two stations I am trying are:
mms://hotmedia.gr/magicfm (detects as WMAV2)
mms://johngreek.live24.gr/polis2795 (detects as WMAPRO)
Try these settings:
Settings-Device-Type: Sony Playstation 3
Settings-Transcoder-"Internet-Radio"-"Transcoding profile" - "Music Internet-Radio (VLC)"
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

Thank you for your reply. I changed those settings, and also cleared the profile associated with each stream. The same problem occurs:

1). Play the WMA V2 stream - OK
2). Play the WMA V2 stream again - OK
3). Play the WMA Pro stream - OK
4). Play the WMA V2 stream - error
5). Play the WMA Pro stream - OK (although bitrate shows "- kbps")
6). Play the WMA V2 stream - error

and after a restart:

1). Play the WMA Pro stream - OK
2). Play the WMA V2 stream again - OK
3). Play the WMA Pro stream - OK

I am not sure which is now causing it.
grolschie

Post by grolschie »

I would like to tune WMS interaction/communication with the BDP-S370. How do I find (or benchmark) optimal settings such as Positioning (chunked, etc), transfer data buffer size, and other settings please? Can this info be queried from the player itself? I imagine that the finer details of the specifications are not publically available. Thanks in advance.