Where am I going wrong ?

rooster

Where am I going wrong ?

Post by rooster »

Had WMS for a while now, but have NEVER managed to get a 1080 film to play without severe stuttering ! Now "HD TV" has settled into my life, Im wondering if 1080 really IS a huge step from my current 720p movies that Im watching at the mo !

My PC is a dual core E5200, with 4gig RAM, LOADS of HDD space.... the network is wired (10/100)
Im not sure where the limiting factor is... could be a setting, but as it stands - Im getting closer to buying a media player

WMS v 1.08.1

Any advice please ?
Eugene

Re: Where am I going wrong ?

Post by Eugene »

rooster wrote:Had WMS for a while now, but have NEVER managed to get a 1080 film to play without severe stuttering ! Now "HD TV" has settled into my life, Im wondering if 1080 really IS a huge step from my current 720p movies that Im watching at the mo !

My PC is a dual core E5200, with 4gig RAM, LOADS of HDD space.... the network is wired (10/100)
Im not sure where the limiting factor is... could be a setting, but as it stands - Im getting closer to buying a media player

WMS v 1.08.1
Buying a media player is a good choice with any TV.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Not a very encouraging reply !!! Especially as Ive already bought your software :oops:
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

rooster wrote:
Not a very encouraging reply !!! Especially as Ive already bought your software :oops:
You can use pre-transcoding - http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... &f=3#p3301
S@gittarius

Post by S@gittarius »

rooster wrote:My PC is a dual core E5200, with 4gig RAM, LOADS of HDD space.... the network is wired (10/100)
I am running my WMS in a virtual machine (VMware) with 2 virtual CPUs @ 2.5GHz and 1 GB of RAM without any problems.
1080p HDs are transcoded smoothly with no stuttering. To get this working the VM is more or less tweaked:
  • my virtual disks are specially aligned for minumum I/Os and placed on stripped RAID group with 4 phisical disks (theoretically it gives you 4 times faster read/write operations which is significant when transcoding). But these are advanced techniques
  • advanced system settings are set for best performance
  • DEP switched off
  • all unnecessary services stopped
  • WMS set for minimum logging
  • precise media format approach
For SONYs if video stream is AVCHD or MPEG2 compliant it doesn't need to be transcoded. Only the audio has to be converted if differs from AC3 or MP3. So in most cases tsMuxer profile would be your fastest possible solution. This is not the case when you have subtitles however. If you need subtitles the media has to be fully transcoded. But even in these conditions my VM works fast enough with no stuttering at all.
I realize that most of the stuff are advanced tweaks to squeeze every bit of performance and are possible only in virtual environment. Some of them could still be applied on home PC but after that it won't be suitable to work and play on. So the WMS's settings is the place to try.
Hope this helps.

Regards.
tfb

Post by tfb »

I has similar problems and someone suggested I try installing the CoreAVC coded and setting that to be used in the transcoding profile. This has help immensely with only the occasional stutter, though I do sometimes have the PC crash with a Blue screen - only when using CoreAVC though.

Regards

TFB