Licensing Model

k10ck3r

Licensing Model

Post by k10ck3r »

Hi, I am trying to understand the licensing model for this product. I love the product, so please bear with me as I walk through my questions.

1) What happens if you buy the server with support for one device, but then need to add another one later? I don't see a price model for that.

2) What are your plans for upgrade pricing. Ie: when a new version is released, will there be an upgrade price for the main program? And what about each device license? Are those independent?

3) If I buy the server with support for two devices and set up both devices, then later need to replace one of my devices (ie: get rid of one device and buy another to replace it), how is that handled?

Maybe you could post a FAQ or something that goes through these types of scenarios so that we understand the licensing model better.

I don't mean to be a pain, but I have been burned in the past by unclear licensing policies. I love the product - I just want to make sure I understand before I buy.

Thanks.
Eugene

Re: Licensing Model

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
k10ck3r wrote: I am trying to understand the licensing model for this product. I love the product, so please bear with me as I walk through my questions.

1) What happens if you buy the server with support for one device, but then need to add another one later? I don't see a price model for that.
You are buying a license for this device at $15. Or you buy a licenses for multiple devices and use them as buy new devices.
k10ck3r wrote:
2) What are your plans for upgrade pricing. Ie: when a new version is released, will there be an upgrade price for the main program? And what about each device license? Are those independent?
Free upgrade to all new versions.
k10ck3r wrote:
3) If I buy the server with support for two devices and set up both devices, then later need to replace one of my devices (ie: get rid of one device and buy another to replace it), how is that handled?
Buys a license for the new device, the old can be sold with the device (Help - Contents - EULA - 7.).
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

JDizzy wrote:So, I now have a WDTV Live and buy a license for it.
In time, the device dies, and I buy new device.
Do I have to buy new license, or can transfer to new device?
If the device has the same Device Code you can use a purchased license. If the device has a different code, you need to buy a new license.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Dion wrote:
Eugene wrote:
JDizzy wrote:So, I now have a WDTV Live and buy a license for it.
In time, the device dies, and I buy new device.
Do I have to buy new license, or can transfer to new device?
If the device has the same Device Code you can use a purchased license. If the device has a different code, you need to buy a new license.
I have 2 WDTV Lives in my house and there Device Codes aren't the same. So you're screwed.. You will have to buy another license for the same product.
The program is not for sale, sold licenses for connecting devices to the program.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Dion wrote: Will the license last forever on one device?
Forever for the device having the same Device Code.
Eugene

Re: Reinstalining OS or changing HW and reinstaling OS

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
mcvrkovic wrote: BTW - I' have two Sony's and i will need two licences for them?
http://www.wildmediaserver.com/buy.php
1. For each media device requires its own license (activation code). If the device has a different connection types (wired and wireless) and you want to use both types of connections, that require different licenses (different Device Codes). Usually you do not need to buy licenses for routers, computers. You need a license only for playback devices.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

entropy wrote:So...if I do a re-install of my OS - all hardware & client is still the same - my license will still work?
But if I upgrade/install a newer OS, I'll need a new license?

That's right?
The license does not depend on computer. You can use the license of device on all owned computers with installed WMS.
Eugene

Re: Licensing Model (New Firmware?)

Post by Eugene »

brettich wrote:New Firmware?

Western Digital just released a MAJOR (beta) firmware update to the "Live" series of WDTV HD media players.
http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/

When this FW updates goes public, will I have to re-license my player with WMS because of the new firmware?
No, the update firmware does not affect the license.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Hello
goliat wrote::
I have 2 PC, a router and two televisions, All the licenses he would need.
If you are using a server only for TV, one type of connection (wired or wireless), then 2 licenses (1 TV + 1 TV).
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

AndyMe wrote:What happens if my TV is replaced under warranty? The MAC address (which is I assume what you use for the licencing) would change. Would I be able to transfer the licence to the replacement TV?
If the device is replaced under warranty and you have the appropriate document, you can get a new license for free, the old will be canceled.