Chunked Transfer Mode

DrJogalog

Chunked Transfer Mode

Post by DrJogalog »

Hi.
I am trying to stream both video files and internet tv streams to an O2 Joggler device. Both are using the standard transcoding settings but the video files will only stream when 'Chunked Transfer Mode' is unset and the internet tv when 'Chunked Transfer Mode' is set.

I have tried every combination of settings and transcoding profiles but I am unable to get them to work at the same time. I have tested transcoding with it set and unset but both the executions show the same so I presume it is an actually server setting rather than part of the transcoding. Anybody got any ideas? I can provide as much information as anyone requires within the boundaries of my limited knowledge in this area.

Also, the majority of the time the TV streams will only play with sound and no picture. If I then stop the stream (from the device), start another tv channel (with the same results) and then go back to the original tv channel, the picture shows fine. The WMS has not been restarted or had anything changed in the meantime. It is very intermittant but 9 out of 10 time the picture just not display. Again, I have tried lots of differnet configs but nothing resolves the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eugene

Re: Chunked Transfer Mode

Post by Eugene »

Hi,
DrJogalog wrote: I am trying to stream both video files and internet tv streams to an O2 Joggler device. Both are using the standard transcoding settings but the video files will only stream when 'Chunked Transfer Mode' is unset and the internet tv when 'Chunked Transfer Mode' is set.

I have tried every combination of settings and transcoding profiles but I am unable to get them to work at the same time. I have tested transcoding with it set and unset but both the executions show the same so I presume it is an actually server setting rather than part of the transcoding. Anybody got any ideas? I can provide as much information as anyone requires within the boundaries of my limited knowledge in this area.

Also, the majority of the time the TV streams will only play with sound and no picture. If I then stop the stream (from the device), start another tv channel (with the same results) and then go back to the original tv channel, the picture shows fine. The WMS has not been restarted or had anything changed in the meantime. It is very intermittant but 9 out of 10 time the picture just not display. Again, I have tried lots of differnet configs but nothing resolves the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think you should pay attention to the format of the files, that have the features of your device.
DrJogalog

Post by DrJogalog »

Hi Eugene. Thanks for the reply but I am not sure what your suggesting. The O2 Joggler can play most file types natively. Even if I chnage the transcoding to output as AVI or MP4, I still get the same issue. Internet TV will only work with CHUNKED TRANSFER on and the the rest of the AVI or MKV files with it switched off. Im at a loss and spent days trying to configure the thing to work.

It all works as default on my PS3 with no changes required.

Maybe there is some sort of limitation on the Joggker device but it beats me what it is.
DrJogalog

Post by DrJogalog »

OK, I did a little further digging. When not using 'chunked transfer mode' on the internet streams to the device, the temorary WMS file chnages to a .trail filetype/ From this thread > http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... f=12&t=241 it would suggest that the device has requested a stop to the stream. The same thread would alos suggest this is a fault with the remote device.

So, if this is the case, I can only stream internet tv with the 'chunked transfer mode' on but everything else has to have this disabled. Is it possible to have this switched on for certain transcoding profiles?

Thanks.
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

DrJogalog wrote:OK, I did a little further digging. When not using 'chunked transfer mode' on the internet streams to the device, the temorary WMS file chnages to a .trail filetype/ From this thread > http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... f=12&t=241 it would suggest that the device has requested a stop to the stream. The same thread would alos suggest this is a fault with the remote device.

So, if this is the case, I can only stream internet tv with the 'chunked transfer mode' on but everything else has to have this disabled. Is it possible to have this switched on for certain transcoding profiles?
Try to upgrade to version 0.73.8 (http://www.wildmediaserver.com/forum/vi ... f=17#p1954).
Perhaps future versions will be a separate setting Chunked mode for Internet resources. Now for the Sony devices is switched on Chunked mode for podcasts.
DrJogalog

Post by DrJogalog »

Thanks Eugene! Upgrading to the latest version now allos me to stream the internet tv without having the chunked transfer mode switched on.

I still get 20% of the internet streams playing without a picture (sound is ok) but this was more like 80% before. If I copy the temp files that these WMS streams create to a USB drive, they will play with the picture running local from the device all the time. I presume the issue is with the joggler device itself but if you have any suggestions...

Thanks again!
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

DrJogalog wrote: I still get 20% of the internet streams playing without a picture (sound is ok) but this was more like 80% before. If I copy the temp files that these WMS streams create to a USB drive, they will play with the picture running local from the device all the time. I presume the issue is with the joggler device itself but if you have any suggestions...
You can try to increase the size of the file to start the transfer (Settings-Transcoder-"Internet-television" - "File size for start transfer") or Settings-Server-choose Device-Edit-Settings-"Subtitles,transcoding file"-"Internet-television"
DrJogalog

Post by DrJogalog »

Eugene wrote: You can try to increase the size of the file to start the transfer (Settings-Transcoder-"Internet-television" - "File size for start transfer") or Settings-Server-choose Device-Edit-Settings-"Subtitles,transcoding file"-"Internet-television"
I have tested changing this value and it doen't seem to change the outcome. Sometimes the picture doesn't display, sometimes it does. Even from the same stream, select it and it doesn;t show the video (only the sound), stop it and play it again and it shows the video without issue. Im sure its a problem with the device but I can live with this now.

Thanks for all your help Eugene. You have a very useful project.