Panasonic G20 "Unable to connect to server".

Lamquin

Panasonic G20 "Unable to connect to server".

Post by Lamquin »

Hello,

I recently got a Panasonic G20 TV that has DLNA support, and I'm trying out all kinds of Media servers to see which one suits me the best.

So I've installed the program, and it seems to be what I'm looking for. However, when I attempt to connect to it with my TV, I get a "Unable to connect to server"-error.
In the Server-Settings, the program can find the TV under "...client devices - Search". I have also tried turning the Windows firewall off.

Any idea what could be causing the TV to "see" the server, but not be able to connect to it?
brightmagus

Re: Panasonic G20 "Unable to connect to server".

Post by brightmagus »

Hi Lamquin,

I have G20 too, but I don't connect to WMS directly, but through WD Media TV Live

However, I just tried direct connection (via router) and I managed to connect using Samsung settings

(Settings -> Device -> Type -> Samsung TV (DLNA, 16:9, 1920:1080)

It works somehow, but if you want to make the WMS open all the files for you you might have to play with (transcoding) settings

Have fun! :)
Lamquin

Post by Lamquin »

Well I'll be damned, it connects!

You're right I'll have to fiddle a bit with the other settings, but this more or less solves my problem. I tried out a few other profiles before giving up, figures it was the Samsung one.

Thank you for your help :)
twol

Post by twol »

I had to enable streaming and then update permissions to my folders so that WMP could be accessed by Pana G20-

see ..... http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/ ... nabled-tv/
Naster

Post by Naster »

Hi there,

Could you please help me out with the following questions, as I am considering either buying the G20 or a Samsung series 8 LED.

1) My question is about the DLNA support for the various video codecs (divx, avi, mpeg, mkv, etc)
Can you please share your experience with streaming of various video codecs to your G20.

2) Also are you able to fastforward/pause/resume the video from your remote control while streaming DLNA video content?

3) You mention Twonky is horrible. I will be streaming from a QNAP NAS, that uses Twonky as the media server. what exactly are your concerns about Twonky? Is it the interface or the actual functionality of it that you do not recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Naster
Lamquin

Post by Lamquin »

Letsee... Sure!

1) DLNA is only a file transport standard, it has no guarantees for codec support which is totally stupid but that's the way it works. You can use something like Wild media server, which will transcode your files into something the TV supports. You'll take a quality hit and you'll need a pretty beefy PC if you crank the quality settings up.
The Panasonic G20 only supports *.mpeg files. As such you will probably have to transcode all the content.
I have a Intel E6600 processor at 3,2 ghz and can watch 720p content movies on the TV if I let it get a bit ahead (it converts the file at a speed of 30 FPS).

2) Yes and No. If you stream a already converted file (.mpeg) the TV can view without needing a "translation", fast forward/backwards works. However, if you attempt to stream a file that is streaming from your PC (and converting on the spot), it will simply bug out since there is no content yet to fast forward to. Since I pre-transcode my movies, I can zip forwards and backwards. If you don't pre-transcode, it will not work.

3) I tried many media servers, but I simply could not get Twonky to work. Perhaps if you fiddle with the settings (The TV-Manual says that they tested the G20 with Twonky). I also highly disliked the UI. Personal preference, you will probably have better luck.
Hm. Looking at QNAP they seem to have a built-in processor, but it won't be enough to stream 720/1080p content. Check if it supports file-conversion to *.mpeg.

Hope this helped you out. The G20 itself is a beautiful TV, and that I can stream movies to it without paying for a PS3/Blu-ray is worth the bit of extra hassle.
twol

Post by twol »

Lamquin wrote:Letsee... Sure!

The Panasonic G20 only supports *.mpeg files. As such you will probably have to transcode all the content.
Hope this helped you out. The G20 itself is a beautiful TV, and that I can stream movies to it without paying for a PS3/Blu-ray is worth the bit of extra hassle.
Not strictly true I can click on the .ifo file in a DVD converted to .iso on my PC hard disk and it runs fine. I can also (usually) play a VOB file directly, although if I skip through a list of files on the TV, I obviously hit a problem somewhere :twisted: ) and suddenly get a file read error message on the TV - after that I have to reset everything (TV, media servers etc )

How do you transcode your files? - I see that you can pre transcode but haven't spotted how to manage to do this yet!

... and Yes the G20 is a super TV :D
Lamquin

Post by Lamquin »

My "pre-transcoding" is done by simply right-clicking the video in Wild Media Server -> "Test Transcoding" and letting it finish. After that I put the "test---.mpg" in the media directory and play it.

The program seems to support a more elegant solution by shift+F5, but I get a error when doing that.
Not an elegant way of doing it, but it works :)
Rako

Post by Rako »

Hello guys...
I'm happy new owner of Pana P50G20E for two days right now and I want to share my first experiences as I haven't found any useful info as well. As many of you, one of the first things I wanted to make working was DLNA and related transcoding for subtitles. So tried TVersity, Twonky and now WMS. All of them without any success on first try. I must admit that I do not like those first two as much as the WMS. So I returned back as the configurability and user "friendlyness" got me with this one. First of all I registered my DIVX device. Then I setup:
Samsung DLNA 1920:1080, DLNA 1.5
embedded support: avi,divx,mpeg,mpg,vob (e.g.)
transcoding file params: divx
and after many unsuccessful tries, my subtitles (SRT) appeared (on the fly of course, not pre-transcoding). I only tried my two testing movies so I do not know how it will end up with other ones but I guess it's worthy to publish and hope this helps somebody...
Good luck...