VLC

Internet TV, Radio, Podcasts
DEvil HUnter

VLC

Post by DEvil HUnter »

Hi,
first question:
i stream musik (and sometimes musik) to more than one device in my home. the most devices i have accept http or mms. i bought a pinnacle showcenter 250hd to stream to my tv. but this device seams to only understand upnp av. so i would like to stream from vlc to this device with wild media server in the middle. how can i do this?
second question:
some of my vids are flv, so i have to transcode them to mpeg or something. this works but it brings two probs.
a) the streamed vid lags sometimes at random position. after the lag the vid is playing with more speed for some seconds (depending on the duration of the lag). then it plays again with normal speed. if it lags once the lags seams to increase.
b) the vid normaly has a other size then the transcoding output. the missing parts (normaly left and right side 4:3 -> 16:9) are gray on tv. this looks not very good.

specialy the problem a is very annoying - 2 of 3 transcoded playbacks are totally lagging..
(transcoding fps>40)
can you tell me how to correct this?
an other idea was to do the transcoding via vlc because it is a bit faster and supports more codings.
so it maybe is has the same solution as the first question.

edit: tryed the transcoding thing with the following:

Code: Select all

const
  csVideoLanParams =
    '-Idummy --language en --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=1024,scale=1,' +
    'acodec=mp3,ab=%d,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:' +
    'duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="<OUTPUT FILE>"}}' +
    ' "<INPUT FILE>" vlc://quit';
begin
  TranscodingParams := Format(csVideoLanParams, [Min(cfgTranscodingAudioBitrate div 1000, 192)])
end.
but i get errors in the console and the stream is extremly laggy and has a strange audio.
Attachments
temp.png
temp.png (53.66 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
Eugene

Re: VLC

Post by Eugene »

DEvil HUnter wrote:Hi,
first question:
i stream musik (and sometimes musik) to more than one device in my home. the most devices i have accept http or mms. i bought a pinnacle showcenter 250hd to stream to my tv. but this device seams to only understand upnp av. so i would like to stream from vlc to this device with wild media server in the middle. how can i do this?
Hi,
vlcmusic1.JPG
vlcmusic1.JPG (83.27 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
or
vlcmusic2.JPG
vlcmusic2.JPG (58.75 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
DEvil HUnter wrote: second question:
some of my vids are flv, so i have to transcode them to mpeg or something. this works but it brings two probs.
a) the streamed vid lags sometimes at random position. after the lag the vid is playing with more speed for some seconds (depending on the duration of the lag). then it plays again with normal speed. if it lags once the lags seams to increase.
Try to include these settings
sony1.JPG
sony1.JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
DEvil HUnter wrote: b) the vid normaly has a other size then the transcoding output. the missing parts (normaly left and right side 4:3 -> 16:9) are gray on tv. this looks not very good.
padcolor.JPG
padcolor.JPG (81.69 KiB) Viewed 14269 times
DEvil HUnter wrote: specialy the problem a is very annoying - 2 of 3 transcoded playbacks are totally lagging..
(transcoding fps>40)
can you tell me how to correct this?
an other idea was to do the transcoding via vlc because it is a bit faster and supports more codings.
so it maybe is has the same solution as the first question.

edit: tryed the transcoding thing with the following:

const
  csVideoLanParams =
    '-Idummy --language en --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=1024,scale=1,' +
    'acodec=mp3,ab=%d,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:' +
    'duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="<OUTPUT FILE>"}}' +
begin
  TranscodingParams := Format(csVideoLanParams, [Min(cfgTranscodingAudioBitrate div 1000, 192)])
end.
but i get errors in the console and the stream is extremly laggy and has a strange audio.

vb=1024
Very low quality video and audio, try 6000 or 10000.

P.S. Look the profile "Internet-television"
DEvil HUnter

Post by DEvil HUnter »

no delete button? so i can't delete this post...
DEvil HUnter

Post by DEvil HUnter »

to my first question:
(streaming from vlc to wms and from wms to my showcenter)
i have allready tested the suggested configuration...
maybe i missed the point or you don't get my question right...
i would like to start a stream in vlc.. than tell the showcenter to start vlc strem (which tells wms to stream the vlc stream to the showcenter)... wms in the middle is needed because the showcenter only supports upnp av for handling the streaming.
but in your configuration answer to my first question it is all about transcoding - not passing a http or mms stream..

to my second question:
part a:
allready tryed this with the (primary) transcoding method and it was the same...
however now with vlc as transcoding this problem is fixed so i think it depends on the transcoding programm...

part b:
the suggested configuration worked - thanks

"new question":
still having trouble with transcoding...
i had a sound problem - sound was strange -> solution was to use samplerate=48000 and not 44100
next prob was the video part: now i'm using div3 in a avi container - this fixed some performance problems like lags and some other probs...
as suggested i'm now using a higher vb (the value can be from 0 to 9999 !!) had problems with this while coding to mpeg2 but since i'm coding to div3 i can choose a much greater value without probs...
however - if the value is to small i get rc buffer underflow...
now i'm using 8192 as the vb value and if i transcode vids with more or less great resolution i get vbv buffer overflow..
it seams to cause nearly no visible problems - maybe some mini lags of some "single" frames in fast scenes... so this is not the main problem...
my new main problem is that i get some strange errors at the end of transcoding of vids...
lets say after 2 or 3 mins of playback at ~3.5min vids...
video stops at ~3mins... it plays the rest if i close transcoding console (without the last few seconds)
the time when errors occure is depending on the length of the vid...

vlc transcoding config:

const
  csVideoLanParams =
    '-Idummy --language en --sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=8192,scale=1,' +
    'acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=48000}:' +
    'duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=avi,dst="<OUTPUT FILE>"}}' +
begin
  TranscodingParams := csVideoLanParams
end.
the pic shows the errors:
temp.png
temp.png (33.62 KiB) Viewed 14256 times
yes i tryed to increase the cache but it had no effect - maybe i did it wrong...

EDIT:
second question part a:
the problem with random lags is not totally fixed but the lags are now very rare and only maybe max. half second and faster palyed vid for same time (in real time maybe 2 seconds)...

EDIT2:
with some vids i still get rc buffer underflow and maybe as result of this some artefacts...

EDIT3:
with some files i get this:
test.png
test.png (29.11 KiB) Viewed 14255 times
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

DEvil HUnter wrote:to my first question:
(streaming from vlc to wms and from wms to my showcenter)
i have allready tested the suggested configuration...
maybe i missed the point or you don't get my question right...
i would like to start a stream in vlc.. than tell the showcenter to start vlc strem (which tells wms to stream the vlc stream to the showcenter)... wms in the middle is needed because the showcenter only supports upnp av for handling the streaming.
but in your configuration answer to my first question it is all about transcoding - not passing a http or mms stream..
:?:
passing.JPG
passing.JPG (75.24 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
DEvil HUnter wrote: "new question":
still having trouble with transcoding...
i had a sound problem - sound was strange -> solution was to use samplerate=48000 and not 44100
next prob was the video part: now i'm using div3 in a avi container - this fixed some performance problems like lags and some other probs...
as suggested i'm now using a higher vb (the value can be from 0 to 9999 !!) had problems with this while coding to mpeg2 but since i'm coding to div3 i can choose a much greater value without probs...
however - if the value is to small i get rc buffer underflow...
now i'm using 8192 as the vb value and if i transcode vids with more or less great resolution i get vbv buffer overflow..
it seams to cause nearly no visible problems - maybe some mini lags of some "single" frames in fast scenes... so this is not the main problem...
my new main problem is that i get some strange errors at the end of transcoding of vids...
lets say after 2 or 3 mins of playback at ~3.5min vids...
video stops at ~3mins... it plays the rest if i close transcoding console (without the last few seconds)
the time when errors occure is depending on the length of the vid...
Maybe help setting this option.
closeconn.JPG
closeconn.JPG (46.73 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
But in the general case, avi-format (by format) is not suitable for transcoding on the fly.
DEvil HUnter wrote: vlc transcoding config:

const
  csVideoLanParams =
    '-Idummy --language en --sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=8192,scale=1,' +
    'acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=48000}:' +
    'duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=avi,dst="<OUTPUT FILE>"}}' +
begin
  TranscodingParams := csVideoLanParams
end.
the pic shows the errors:
The attachment temp.png is no longer available
yes i tryed to increase the cache but it had no effect - maybe i did it wrong...

EDIT3:
with some files i get this:
The attachment test.png is no longer available
What are the parameters of the source file?
DEvil HUnter

Post by DEvil HUnter »

first question:
i don't get it how to add a http stream to the movie list...
so i can't open the edit info dialog on it...
if i click right on the internet television i have no option add - or something like that...

third question:
avi had the best results till now... any other good suggestions?
(after having problems with mpeg2 vid coding i switched to divx3 but this is only supported - or displayed in right way by avi container)
with parameters of source you mean coding and so on right?
maybe it woul be the best if i send you the files..

EDIT:
the close connection after x seconds value is not changing anything
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

DEvil HUnter wrote:first question:
i don't get it how to add a http stream to the movie list...
so i can't open the edit info dialog on it...
if i click right on the internet television i have no option add - or something like that...
addlink.JPG
addlink.JPG (38.36 KiB) Viewed 14235 times
DEvil HUnter wrote: third question:
avi had the best results till now... any other good suggestions?
(after having problems with mpeg2 vid coding i switched to divx3 but this is only supported - or displayed in right way by avi container)
with parameters of source you mean coding and so on right?
maybe it woul be the best if i send you the files..
Ok, i can download a file with file-exchange server (eg rapidshare.com).
DEvil HUnter

Post by DEvil HUnter »

ok interesting: if i let vlc transcode the while streaming to the same format i would transcode from wms... div3,mp3 in avi... i can't get the strem playback with a second vlc player...(same with wms)
if i let it transcode to mpeg2,mp3 in mpeg-ts i can connect with other instance of vlc and with wms..
(but have to transcode again)..
but then i get the same problem as before: when the file is ended the vlc player streaming it is starting again from begin... but the transcoding console window of vlc called by wms is showing me the mux caching error like in the pic posted before... so i can't get more than one file played...

i think the problem is the avi container as you implied before...
any idea how to use div3 with other container? i think this is not possible...
next question: any idea what other good codings i can use? mpeg2 was bringing lagging issue

EDIT:
used http to stream - mms brings even more problems with this transcoding config
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

DEvil HUnter wrote: i think the problem is the avi container as you implied before...
any idea how to use div3 with other container? i think this is not possible...
next question: any idea what other good codings i can use? mpeg2 was bringing lagging issue
What kind of problems when using the transcoding profile "Movies (primary)" ?
Low speed transcoding? Poor quality? What parametres of transcoding (screenshot from test transcoding)?

P.S. Used transcoding profile "Movies (primary) - MPLEX" ?
DEvil HUnter

Post by DEvil HUnter »

Movies (primary) - MPLEX:
mplex.png
mplex.png (29.18 KiB) Viewed 14223 times
then getting an error, console windows are closing...
to fast to get screenshot..

Movies (primary):
(this one i used before switching to vlc)
fps rate continiusly decreasing, holding by about 40...
primary.png
primary.png (33.09 KiB) Viewed 14223 times
primary config1.png
primary config1.png (58.62 KiB) Viewed 14223 times
vid is lagging extreamly...

(three attachment maximum-.-)